Monday, January 23, 2012

Blast From the Past

I figured it would be nice to share a little bit about how I got to this point in my "horsey" life. Like so many other equestrians I was bitten by the "horse fever" bug long before I can remember. Every Christmas I would plead with God to please let there be a pony in my backyard when I woke up. That wish finally came true when I was 15 and my Mom bought me my first horse. (Although, he wasn't in my backyard when I woke up but it was close enough!)

Now most horse people can tell you that a green rider and a green horse equals a very bad idea. Well no one told my Mom that so my very first horse was a 3 year old, unbroke, gray Arabian gelding named Vanity's Ghazal. Amazingly Ghazal and I both survived our first years together and I still have him. I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. He's 22 years old now and mostly retired living on my sister's farm. I miss him so much!

Yes, I really did wear that in public!  
Our first years together we mostly just trail rode and had fun. We got into Competitive Trail Riding but I was never seriously competitive. I just loved to ride. Looking back I do wish I could have gotten involved in a Pony Club or even 4H but my Mom was single and didn't have the extra money or time. But still, at least I had a horse and I was riding. We did parades and even a couple of shows here and there. What more could a girl ask?



Christmas Parade in S.C.

I never had any "real" lessons until I was much older. Unfortunately by then I had a whole slew of bad habits that I had to unlearn. I'm still working on some of them.

After high school I went to college and got married. Horses weren't forgotten but they weren't first and foremost on my mind at that time. It wasn't until several years later after I'd had three kids that I would start getting really serious about riding again.

1 comment:

  1. He looke so sharp in that last picture. Very, very handsome. :)

    ReplyDelete