Saturday, January 28, 2012

The View From Here

So it turns out the weather was pretty much perfect for my lesson and it was wonderful with lots learned and lots to think about. (I'll have more on that later.) For now I just thought you might like to see what the view is like from the other side of the world.

First of all here is my ride while over on this little island:
What a grand will get you in a car over here.
This is the view as I turned onto the street where the barn is located:

Yes, that is the Pacific Ocean you are seeing.
The sign for the barn:
MHC

And here is a view from the saddle:
Not bad, right?
And the view from on the way home:

Sorry the lighting was bad but that is the Eastern China Sea reflecting the sun
So, you may find yourself thinking what's so bad about being stuck in Okinawa for a little while. I guess the answer is some days, maybe even more than I want to admit, it's not too bad. On days like today it can be pretty nice. I'm sure someday I'll look back on this time and realize it was a great experience. I just hope it isn't too long of an experience!

Also, it really is great to have a place to ride over here. You do have to keep in mind that things are different here. The barn is owned by a local couple and they very kindly allow us Americans to run a lesson program using their horses. There are NO horse vets or professional farriers on the entire island (that I know of). ((UPDATE: I have now gotten to observe several of the vets at the farm for various reasons and while they may not be "horse" vets they certainly seem more than competent.) So the care these horses receive is not always at the same level we are used to in the states, but the owners do the best that they can and their pride and love for these horses is pretty easy to see. It seems that the "horse bug" does not discriminate based on language or culture. I've seen just as many Japanese girls riding around with huge grins plastered on their faces as American ones. We all ride the same horses and can communicate with them the same no matter what our language. It's kind of cool when you think about it.

2 comments:

  1. I think its pretty cool you are in Okinawa! I minored in Japanese cultural studies in college and I still haven't been to Japan, so I am totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ironic thing to me is that my husband and I spent the first two years in the military learning Modern Standard Arabic. So where do we end up 6 or so years later? why Japan of course!

    Unfortunately I just can't bring myself to try learning an entirely new (hard) language. I'm still brain-dead from the last one. But I'm trying to appreciate the culture while I am here.

    ReplyDelete