Friday, February 17, 2012

I Look Like A Horse Rider!

A couple of nights ago it was "Bring your Valentine Night" at my kickboxing class. My husband obligingly came with me to work out. It was quite crowded but we had a good time. At the end of the class we got to talking with another girl in my class and she said to me, "you know the first time I saw you I thought you looked like someone who rides horses."

*Woah!*Wait*What?*

"How's that?" I asked. She said she didn't know but for some reason she just thought I looked like a horse rider. Perhaps one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me? I got so excited I said, "yes, I am an eventer!"

*Blank Stare*

"Uhm, yes I ride horses." 

In other news I participated in a "jumper clinic" put on by the riding stables here. It basically consisted of riding through three stations. At the first station we worked on lengthening and shortening our horses trot strides through some ground poles. This was a little challenging for Mocha and me as we were riding with another girl on a much larger horse but we did okay.

The second station was a basic gymnastic of three jumps. We started on the left lead and jumped a cross rail, one stride, cross rail, two strides and a final cross rail. Eventually we raised all the jumps to maybe about 2'3" and we jumped it on the right lead in the other direction as well. The third station was working on riding bending lines.

I felt mostly good about my riding. My only complaint is I'm still leaning at the jumps about 50% of the time (if I had to guess). This is so frustrating! Perhaps I should consider it an improvement that I can now completely tell when I do it? Whereas before I only realized it after looking at photos. But I'm not catching myself fast enough. About halfway over the jump my brain goes "you totally leaned at this jump!" I have another lesson today so maybe I'll see some more improvement.

Have a nice weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Eek I have that same 'leaning at the jump' problem, too. I've gotten SO much better at it over the last year, though, thank goodness. But I still do it every few jumps and its so annoying. Good luck kicking the habit!! haha! I hope the clinic was fun!

    ReplyDelete