Thursday, February 2, 2012

Morning Knots and Awards

Good morning! (for me anyways--most of you are probably just heading to bed) I just thought I'd share what I wake up to every morning over here in Japan. My youngest daughter is already a professional at something at the amazing age of 3.

We call her Knot Head
Yes, that's right my 3 year old is a champion knot tier. Every single morning since she's had hair long enough to twist together I have had at least one or two or three and every once in a while four knots to pry out of her hair. How many times have I been tempted to simply shave her head! I don't know. But I got to thinking yesterday what if... just what if someday all that knot tying practice came in use someday. Maybe, just maybe she will be my professional horse braider when she gets older. It could be a silver lining after all.

I got to have my extra lesson yesterday and it was great. We just worked on the flat and on those dreaded transitions which I am getting better at already. I even had three strides of the most amazing canter ever until I spoiled it with a heel into Sky's side. Ugh! After a few small bucks we got back together and ended on a good note. My trainer wants to do a lunge lesson soon without stirrups which I wholeheartedly support! I woke up this morning with a few knots (of another kind) myself.

And finally I won an AWARD!!! Wow! I am completely surprised and very thankful to L. Williams over at Viva Carlos for considering my blog for an award. Thanks so much!


Liebster means “dearest” in German, and the award is intended to help up-and-coming blogs get the attention they deserve. Here are the rules: 

1. Copy and paste the award on your blog.

2. Link back to the blogger who gave you the award

3. Pick your five favorite blogs with less than 200 followers, and leave a comment on their blog to let them know they have received the award.

4. Hope that the five blogs chosen will keep spreading the love and pass it on to five more blogs!

I'm really new to this whole blogging thing and I'm amazed at how many talented riders and writers there are blogging these days. Here are some of the ones I really enjoy (in no particular order):


1. PonyEventer: She hasn't written a whole lot yet but I'm very interested in hearing more about the redheaded pony's adventures in eventing and hopefully she'll continue to write more in the future.

2. Lyndz Ridez: I am always amazed at people who can balance their love for all things equine with "real" life such as going to law school. Lyndz is hoping to compete in her first event this summer and I'm excited to hear how it goes. I'm pretty sure she'll love it!

3. Confessions of an AA Event Rider and Convicted Over Thinker: I am pretty sure that Suzanne has probably already won a blog award before but I'm really enjoying her blog. I think pretty much any adult amateur who is balancing riding with family can relate to this blog.

4. Tales From a Bad Eventer: I wouldn't be surprised if Bad Eventer has already won a blog award as well but seriously this blog is a must read. The writer definitely has a way with words and the ability to make you laugh your butt off.

5. Mad for Smarty: This is Madison's blog about the retraining of her new OTTB Mad for Smarty. Their story is a little like a fairy tale and I can't wait to hear how they progress together.


I also want to mention two other blogs really quick. Team Flying Solo is the first blog I ever started reading and if you are at all interested in the sport of Eventing I highly suggest this blog. The author is insightful and a very good writer. You will learn a lot and have fun along the way.

Musingly Mindee is not a horse related blog but well, she's my little sister so I of course have to give her a shout out. She is an up and coming young adult author. Her book The Nightmare Affair is due out sometime in the winter of 2013 (I believe). If you are ever interested in learning about the writing process then I think you would enjoy her blog.

Okay, that's all for today. Thanks for reading!

NEW EDIT: Okay so two of the blogs I selected had just received awards between the time I wrote this and published it, go figure! Since that is the case I wanted to award or at least tell you about one other blog that I think you might enjoy: I'm All Ears is the blog of Hannah and her horse Tucker. I really enjoy reading about other AA riders on the eventing scene. There are so many things you can learn through others' experiences even though sometimes I really feel like I'm behind the 8 ball when I read them.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Amanda.. you picked some good ones... I'm honored to be among them.

    ReplyDelete