Friday, March 9, 2012

All I Need Is A Little Patience!

I got a big surprise in my inbox a few nights ago when I looked and saw that Horse Junkies United had commented on my itty bitty blog. I can't tell you how cool that was! You'd think I'd gotten a message from Boyd Martin himself or something, lol. Seriously though, I've been reading HJU since it got started so it was a little surreal to suddenly have the situation reversed and someone from HJU reading my blog.

Speaking of Horse Junkies, my trainer back in Ohio occasionally contributes to the Junky blog. Back in February she wrote this: The Day I Lost My Mind and Bought a Lame Horse... And Two More. Horse D is the same horse I wrote about when I first started this blog. (pictured left and below). He is the horse that I'm supposed to be looking at when I get back to the States. He might be my "Low Key" someday. It was very interesting to hear about how she got him in the first place. My favorite thing she wrote was this: "[Horse] D, the afterthought, is a star.  He has the talent to succeed just about anywhere and the brain to do it with an amateur." Here's hoping that amateur might be me someday soon! And if for some reason it doesn't work out I know Lori will find him an excellent home and I'll find my partner sooner or later. I have to keep reminding myself to be patient.

Patience is certainly the hardest lesson to learn. Just when I think I might have learned how to be patient I find out just exactly how little I have. And believe me there have been plenty of opportunities to learn a little patience over here. For instance, there was the time when the Commissary ran out of chocolate chip granola bars... for two months! Now, you have to understand the only thing I ever eat for breakfast are my chocolate chip granola bars. I'd like to say that I handled their absence with cool aplomb but that would be a downright lie. Oh no, I threw a fit! Thankfully my very thoughtful and smart husband found out you can order them from Amazon otherwise I would have had to wait even longer. Now I have them delivered once a month so I don't ever have to run out and wait for them again.  And of course there is the fact that I'm going home two months earlier than planned b/c I just CAN'T wait to get out of here. I really do try, though, to have patience, surely that counts for something!

5 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me?? You know Lori & horae D?! That's incredible! What a small world!! Seriously, go comment on HJU's Facebook page (say hi, I'm the eventer in Japan or something...) so I can find you/friend you. PS - I'm nothing like Boyd...he's waaaay taller. Lol. Cheers, Patricia / HJU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is definitely the hardest lesson... I had to put my partner of 11 years down about four years ago this spring. At first I didn't want another horse- how in the world could I ever replace him? He really was the best. But even though I know I'll never be able to replace him, the "I want my own horse bug" took hold about two years ago and has just been horrible to live with. I've even been "given" a horse (unbroke but you know, I'm crazy enough to take him- he has lots of potential, and I taught him how to lunge and free jump and have saddle broke him and he was fantastic for all of it) but it KILLS me that I don't have the money to put him at a real barn and because of complications I can't really work with him where he is right now. So every night I go to sleep dreaming about the day I can take him "home" to the barn I ride at and call him mine, and try in my mind to figure out how I can possibly work school around working enough to be able to afford him.

    It's horrible! I know I can get a horse in two years... but I want one now! NOW! I'm not patient either. I really hope you can work it out and get mr. loki soon :) He's so cute. He actually looks a lot like the horse I want to take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love HJU!!!! :)

    Awesome about the potential pony, the shout out on HJU and girl patience is the hardest thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, reply to your comment. Carlos has an explosive personality and our usual routine is I groom and tack up, let him blow some steam off in the round pen (and some days he has no steam, so its really up to him), if I don't put him in the round pen I may trot and canter up and down a hill a couple times, that usually gets him up and forward and getting that excess energy out.

    Some days I don't lunge or do hill work and it can be a bit of a rodeo, but I have survived, I think my trainer wants it more for the safety of the others in the ring than for my safety. Haha.

    So yes, ACEing him is saving him from himself.

    ReplyDelete