Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Day At The Beach

I had a great lesson today! Since this is possibly my last day to ride here until the fall I got to choose which horse to ride. For some reason (I'm not sure why) I decided to ride Mocha. I had ridden Sky the last couple of times so I guess I just wanted to spread the love or something like that.

Anyways, we worked on changing leads over a jump and on rollbacks. I was only able to get Mocha to switch leads once but he doesn't really have an automatic change so I don't feel too bad about it. The rollbacks were fun. I've never set out to purposely work on them before and after the first two or three tries I really got it. You know what I love about riding? It's putting things together. You start out with something simple like just learning to jump over a cross rail. You practice and practice until you get it and then you add another fence or maybe a vertical or an oxer and then you start putting courses together. The rollback was a great lesson b/c it made me keep riding after the fence and really turn my head to look for the next fence. Riding is like building blocks. The more solid your foundation the better it gets and no matter how great a rider you are there are always new pieces to learn or parts to perfect. When you "get something" it is unbelievably satisfying!

After my lesson I stuck around to go for a beach ride. It was a last minute invitation and my wonderful husband graciously agreed to come home a little early from work to pick up the kids so I could go. It was a lot of fun and I have a bunch of pictures. I'll let them tell the story!
Riding down the road to the beach.
 As we were riding to the beach one of the instructors said to me, "oh by the way, Mocha loves the water. He loves it so much he sometimes likes to lay down... just so you know!"
And Lay Down He Did!

The Posse
What, you think we were done with the water?
Famous last words: He just likes to lay down. He won't roll! Uhuh, right! Thankfully my boots are just my synthetic everyday ones!

And I'm Off!
Wet or not it was a blast!
I ended the day with my kickboxing class. Needless to say I am a little sore and lot tired! I think I'll probably sleep pretty well tonight!

1 comment: