Sunday, March 11, 2012

One Of Those Days

I had a lesson last night and I rode like crap. You know, one of those rides where everything just feels off. I had a full 2 weeks off of riding so I'm sure that was part of it but I don't know if it accounts for all of it. I got to ride Sky again which was nice but he also seemed to be having one of those days or maybe it was just the way I was riding b/c of the day I was having. The hardest thing about riding Sky, for me, is that he just does not want to go forward and he gets very snitty if you ask in what he deems to be a rude way. I'm not sure if it was because of that or what but I had the absolute worst time keeping my feet in my stirrups. It was very very weird. This is not a typical problem for me but my feet kept sliding forward in my stirrups. This was certainly a sign that my heels were coming up but like I said it is not an issue I've had to deal with for a long time. It was very much a WTH thing. But my entire ride my feet kept sliding forward with the stirrup ending up right in front of the heel of my boot. Eventually I just had to ignore it and keep riding.

What Am I Doing???

Normally I would not have tried a bunch of jumping while feeling so discombobulated but we have our spring horse show this coming weekend and there might not be a chance to ride again before hand so I needed to get some jumping in. It was alright. I managed to have some pretty nice moments but overall it just felt very disorganized. I sat down a little too quickly over one jump and caused Sky to bump the rail pretty hard sending the rail scattering. Sky used this as a very good excuse to spook and buck. He almost got me off but at the last minute I managed to save it with a French lift. That was really the only really bad moment. [REALLY!]

I'm hoping I can get a lesson in on Thursday so that I have a chance of having a nice ride before the show on Saturday. We'll see how it goes. I'm so looking forward to getting back to the states where I can start riding at least 4 or 5 times a week. Riding just once or twice a week just doesn't really cut it when you are trying to improve. It's like I told my hubby. Imagine trying to train for a marathon but only getting to run once a week. That would seriously suck! And this feels about the same to me.

2 comments:

  1. boo :( sorry you had a rough ride! that means that you are due for some good ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What The Fuller said... the old saying works for me... "Bad ride before show = good ride at show!"

    ReplyDelete