Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Okinawa Zoo



It is Spring Break for us over here in Okinawa. My husband took the week off and we've been trying to do some family things around the island. On Monday we went to the Okinawa Zoo. It is quite a different experience than what you may be used to in the states. I'll let the photos do most of the talking.


Of course the first thing I really noticed at the Zoo was this sign:
Pony Rides at the Zoo every weekend!

The inherit dangers of horses!

It took me a sec to understand this sign. Horsehinder leg say what?
The first actual equine we came across
All the horses we saw appeared to be in very good condition

Do Yous Have Carrots?


Cutie!
And for some non-horsey animals. This was a Zoo after all!
If it looks like I was very close to these Hippos it's because I was! Literally there was only a small metal fence that only came up to about mid-thigh on me separating humans from hippos. My husband pointed out that the Japanese have higher expectations for self-responsibility than we do in the states.
Does the lion look close? He was:
I did feel a bit sorry for the big cats and the one bear that was there. Most of the animals seemed to have adequate room and at least one cage-mate but the big cats and the bear could definitely have used some more room.
I'll leave the sign interpretation up to you!
Creepy Crocks!

There was only one elephant out while we were there
 And no trip to a Zoo in Okinawa would be complete without seeing some Habu. My husband told me that if you get bit by a Habu they fly you off the island permanently b/c supposedly the anti-venom only works once. How bad/sad is it that I found myself wondering just how much it would hurt to get bitten!
Weston was not so sure about the Iquana
Elaina and the Water Monitor Or as She Informed Me The Dinosaur!


4 comments:

  1. LOVE the last pic and how they are both looking at you the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm pretty sure they were asking me to take him home, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat-looking place! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures, I love Japanese signs :)

    ReplyDelete