Tuesday, May 1, 2012

From Okinawa To Rolex

Wow, there has just been so much going on these past couple of weeks that I have had a devil of a time keeping up with this blogging thing. It's pretty easy when you are stuck in Japan and have a lot of free time on your hands but ever since I've been here if I haven't been at the barn I've been doing stuff with my family. It is great to be home for sure!

So a quick recap of how things went. Sometime on the weekend of the 14th of April I noticed that there was a flight leaving Kadena that was destined for Columbus, Ohio. I had sort of resigned myself to waiting until the week of Rolex before trying to fly home but as soon as I saw this flight come up I knew I had to try for it.

We got to the PAX terminal about a half hour before role call and made sure we were on the space available list. The next 30 minutes was quite the nail biter! Would we make it on the plane? Well, we all know the answer to that. We did make it! We pretty much got the last seats available but I was so excited and quite nervous.
Waiting for our flight at the Kadena PAX terminal
Our Plane looked something like this
Our flight lasted about nine hours and it was on a KC135. It had netted seats that went along the side of the plane and it was very loud and cold but the cool thing was we could stretch out and sleep by taking the netting down (the seats themselves were like wide cots and the netting was just for the "chair" back). We wore ear plugs for the sound and that sort of made it peaceful. We couldn't do much talking so the girls slept a lot and I read and slept some. In all honesty it was the most comfortable flight I've ever been on.

We had a layover in Hawaii which I knew going in. What I didn't know was that our layover was going to be over 24 hours long!! The thing about flying Space A is you have to be very (and I mean VERY) flexible. I luckily had my American iPhone set back up before we left so I was able to call for a hotel and taxi.

I was also lucky in that I have a good friend who is stationed in Hawaii who was able to take us around the next day so we got to see some of the sights.

Passed Out After the Long Flight
View From Our Hotel Room
Just One of the Beautiful Sights in Hawaii
After spending most of the afternoon driving around Hawaii with my friend we headed back to the PAX terminal to wait for the next leg of our journey. And here is where things got a little bumpy. When I looked at the scheduled flights I noticed that our flight was not there!!! Oh my gosh as panic set in! I went and talked to the customer service folks to find out what was going on. According to them our flight had terminated and we would potentially have to wait for another flight and compete for seats again. There was a lot of drama that I won't go into but suffice it to say that by the end of it there were a few tears and I'm pretty sure I lost at least a year or so of my life just from the worry/stress but the kicker is about a half hour before the next flight took off I was finally told that the whole thing was just a computer error. $#%$#@!!! (I guess every journey needs at least a little drama.)

The flight from Hawaii to Columbus also lasted about 9 hours and when we got there my Dad and MIL came to pick us up and we were finally home!! I was so glad that I came home a week early for Rolex because, man, jet-lag is a pain. It was nice to go to Rolex NOT feeling like a Zombie.
Cousins Unite!
There are about a billion blogs on Rolex out there so I'll spare you the details and just say that it is truly the most fun thing I get to do every year. We went two days this year on Thursday (to do our shopping) and on Saturday to watch cross country. I tried to be conservative with my shopping but I did come home with a new Dressage Bridle from Stubben, new stirrups from Bit of Britain, a new pair of Dubarry boots!, a couple of shirts/sweatshirts and a new Mountain Horse Coat from USEA. I really really wanted to come home with a new saddle. I found one that I absolutely loved but of course it would have been silly to buy a saddle before I buy a horse so I restrained myself. :)

Here are the pics!:
I wore my MHC t-shirt on Thursday so they could be "officially" represented at Rolex.
Courageous Comet and Becky Holder (I felt bad for Becky; she had some bad luck this year.)
Philip Dutton
Will Coleman and Twizzel. I was so happy for them to finish on their Dressage score, only 1 of 3 to do it.
Marilyn Little-Meredith Flying!
Karen O'Connor and Mr. Medicott also had a great showing.
Michael Pollard and Icarus
 And a Video:
 

I had another video but for some reason Blogger isn't letting me upload it. Maybe later.

I'm still working on the horse shopping. Not much new to report and if I could sum it up in just a few words they would be, "why oh why can't I just be a few inches taller!" Ah well such is the story of my life. :D

2 comments:

  1. Those are some crazy jumps..! I need to save up and go shopping at Rolex next year :) And a layover in Hawai'i doesn't sound so bad... I love Hawai'i :D

    ReplyDelete