Sunday, May 20, 2012

KEEP IT LOW KEY and don't ask TOO MANY WHYZ

As you are reading this post you should be imagining fireworks exploding, thousands of balloons being released and a band playing some sort of victory tune in the background.

Why?

Well, after a few weeks of soul searching and internet searching for the "perfect" horse I have finally found one. (Okay, actually I came to the realization that there really isn't a "perfect" horse and sometimes you have to decide what you can and what you can not live with. My compromise was height as in my horse is a little taller than I'd ideally wanted. Actually his height is just fine it's me who is just too short!) He is now bought and paid for. That's right I'd like to introduce you to my Loki!:
Isn't he nice and shiny?!
If he looks familiar that is because he was formally known as Frankie. Last week we decided to have Frankie's(Loki's) front ankles x-rayed. Not only were the x-rays very positive my vet and his assistant absolutely oo'ed and awed over my (now) horse. The first thing my vet said to me when he called with the results of the x-rays was "I feel really good about this horse!" No chips or lesions to be found!

I realized that even though my trainer has about 5 or 6 horses available to ride over and over again I kept picking Frankie/Loki. For a while I told myself it couldn't work b/c of his size and the possible problems with his ankles but that didn't keep me from really falling in love with him. I absolutely love his sweet personality and working with him on the ground. He loves attention but he isn't pushy about it. We certainly have some work cut out for us u/s but with the help of my trainer I know we will get through it. He isn't flashy but when he moves he's going to be the kind of horse you stop and watch. (Of course I'm not biased at all!)

His registered name is Too Many Whyz which I find very appropriate b/c I certainly had a whole lotta whyz I should and whyz I shouldn't buy this horse.

So my goals for this summer now are:
  1. To develop a positive relationship with my horse on the ground and u/s.
  2. To get Loki confident in new environments and help him realize that going somewhere new does not mean RACE TIME.
  3. Try not to go broke buying all the new things we need/want :D
  4. To do at least one starter horse trial by the end of the summer.
I'm not sure we'll make that last goal and I'm not going to sweat it. Really it is just something for us to work towards this summer. There will be plenty of time for us to make our eventing debut in the years to come and who knows how far we'll go?
 
I'm hoping I'll get some better photos here soon. My husband and son made it home from Japan this past week. (More fireworks, balloons and band music!) So hopefully husband will come out and play camera man for me one of these days. (It's pretty hard to photograph a horse without a helper!)

5 comments:

  1. Congrats, Man. I'm so happy for you. Loki is an absolute sweetheart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I look forward to hearing about your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete