Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Keep Those Shoulders Straight

The last couple of rides we've been working on straightness. Loki just loves to pop his shoulders out when we turn and I have an unfortunate habit of relying on my reins to try and correct this. As I'm sure most of you know relying on your reins for straightness just isn't a great idea. You have to ride that shoulder! I grew up riding endurance/trail horses and hardly ever rode in the ring the first five or so years that I started riding so I guess it isn't a big surprise that I am having a tough time with this concept. When you ride on the trail steering is not usually much of an issue as your choices in direction are usually limited to forward or backward. I completely understand the concept in my head and can even execute when I think about it but whenever we get into a situation where I have to react quickly without time to really think about what I am doing (i.e. when we are jumping) my old habits show up like ants to a picnic! So, for the foreseeable future we will be working on steering from my seat and legs with as little rein as possible until, hopefully, it becomes second nature.

Sorry, still no pictures. My new halter did come in today and it is SO pretty!! I will try to get Loki to model it so I can show it off. :D

I hope you all had a great Memorial Weekend. A belated thank you to all of the men and women (my husband included!) who have and are now serving our country!

2 comments:

  1. The Hands, the Hands!!! Don't worry you are defi not the only one with this problem!

    Looking forward to Loki's Model pics and a thank you to your husband for serving. :)

    ReplyDelete