Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Shop Till Ya Drop

So far things have been going great! I still don't have any new pictures of Loki :( but hopefully will get some soon. We've had a couple of very nice rides the past few days. Right now I am mostly just working on rhythm and brakes. I'm really trying to get him used to listening to my seat. He's going to have to be a really good listener since he's so big and I'm so small. :) We've been practicing stopping with just my seat at the walk. When he's relaxed he's getting it and I can definitely see some progress!

I've also been spending loads of time online looking for things to buy. I'm not having any trouble finding all kinds of great things but unfortunately I seem to have misplace my money tree (dang it)!! I'm having a hard time deciding on how to prioritize my want/wish list. So far I have purchased a new halter from the Tack Shack of Ocala. It's, of course, going to have a brass name plate with Keep It Low Key on it. I've also managed to pick up a few things from my trainer. I got some used shipping boots. They are fairly nice, just a little faded in color and I sure spent a heck of a lot less than the $100+ I was seeing online. I also got a set of ice boots. I probably won't need them any time soon but again, used is so much less expensive. Let's see, I got a very nice Fleeceworks half-pad from someone else at the barn for a huge bargain. It's not the color I would have chosen but it had only been used once and it was less than half the original price so I'm not complaining! I'm trying a set of Tri-Zone XC-boots from my trainer. If they fit and don't rub I'll probably end up buying those too, again at a significantly less price than new.

Since Loki is quite a bit bigger than my last horse none of my blankets are going to fit him which means buying all new clothes. Am I the only one who gets overwhelmed by all the millions of blanket/sheet/cooler choices out there??? What kinds of blankets/sheets/coolers do any of you use? As much as I'd love to just buy whatever I think I *might* use I don't really have the extra cash for that at the moment. I know I'll need a turn out blanket(s) of some sort before winter. My trainer highly recommends the Rambo duo blanket but YIKES! have you seen the price on that one???

And of course there is the usual saddle lust that seems to never go away. I found this on ebay:

It's a Stackhouse Monoflap Dressage saddle, 16" with short flaps. In the description it says it was made "for a slender adult female 5 feet tall and a 16 hand normal withered Hanoverian." It even has custom red piping! It's like it was made for me! (I'm exactly 5' tall.) *Sigh* Unfortunately I don't have an extra $3,700 sitting around. But it sure is pretty!

I jokingly asked my husband if he ever thought about what our lives would be like if I didn't have/want horses and the things that go along with them. He told me he doesn't let himself think about it. Can't say that I blame him, poor guy. Ah well, I wouldn't be me if I didn't love horses. 


5 comments:

  1. Oh man I am so slow to the game, just realized Loki = Low Key :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO shopping!! :)

    Here are my two cents on blankets that I have an would buy again-

    Love this blanket.. no fill and waterproof: http://www.smartpakequine.com/big-d-espree-turnout-sheet-6488p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

    Love this one as well... waterproof and some fill: http://www.smartpakequine.com/big-d-sussex-medium-turnout-blanket-6487p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

    Have this sheet and like it: http://www.smartpakequine.com/amigo-mio-stable-sheet-8210p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

    Also have a few Bakers and love them. Expensive but worth it since they are pretty sturdily made.

    Just got a Kensignton fly sheet and have had it about a month and really like it as well.

    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do like the Big D blankets and I have an Amigo stable sheet. It's too small for the new guy so I'll probably put it up on Ebay but it is a nice sheet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU for sharing that link to the halter! I think I'll get that one for my boy as well- every halter I've seen is 70$ plus and much crappier quality than the one in your pictures, I think!

    As for sheets- do you need a fly sheet? Because I've found Stateline tack has a really great price on the Saxon SoftMesh Combo Fly Sheet- this sheet fits better and stays on better than the more expensive sheets other people at my barn have bought- every one oohs and aahs over mine and it was 50 bucks!! (In my pictures, I got Wizard a 78 and its a little too big... he probably needed a smaller size. But they only had a 75 or a 78 and he really needed like a 76.5 lol. But other than that, highly recommend!) http://www.statelinetack.com/item/saxon-softmesh-combo-fly-sheet/SLT723062/

    As for winter blankets, let me know if you find anything good... I'll be looking too...

    horseloverz.com sometimes has awesome deals on blankets, if they still have them in your size. some of the stuff on the site is crap, but you can get really good deals on some things. Smartpak has some decent prices on the blankets and I like reading all the reviews, even if I end up getting it from a different site for cheaper: http://www.smartpakequine.com/horse-turnouts-307pc.aspx

    And if the boots from your trainer don't work out, I liked the Woof Wear Double-Lock Brushing Boot for cross country- they fit well, hold up well, haven't slipped, and were really great quality for the price. http://www.smartpakequine.com/woof-wear-doublelock-brushing-boots-6198p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not sure I'll need a fly sheet for turnout but if I do I'll definitely try that one.

    As for turnout blankets I think I might go the expensive route and get a Rambo Supreme Lite Turnout Sheet. It's very expensive for the initial cost but all of the liners work with it so you can change it from a lite sheet with no fill to a heavy weight blanket and the liners are pretty reasonably priced. My trainer swears that the Rambo blankets are the only ones she's been able to find that her horses don't tear up in the first year of use. I am waiting to see if they might go on sale at some point, though.

    I'm definitely considering the Woof double-lock boots. I have a pair of single lock Woof boots that are slightly too small for the new horse and I really like them I just wish they were more breathable. The boots I tried from my trainer ended up rubbing the back of Loki's front legs so they probably won't work.

    ReplyDelete