Saturday, June 9, 2012

Happy Happy

Loki and I had our first "real" jump school today. It was ah-mA-zing! Loki continues to amaze me in general. Every time I ride him I feel like he makes huge strides forward. I even asked my trainer if she was riding him at night when I wasn't around. Surely it's not just me, right? Well, so far it turns out it really is me. Of course this doesn't mean that we are even close to perfection or anything but it does mean that we are figuring some things out. The biggest thing we are getting is rhythm. When I first started riding Loki our rhythm was all over the place and he didn't have a clue what a half halt was. Now, I feel like we can maintain a nice rhythm for most of the arena. He still has a hard time whenever we turn to the right, though. He speeds up because he has a hard time balancing in that direction but it is getting better. I do have to work on not "water skiing" according to my trainer. Sometimes I forget to add leg to my half-halts and Loki starts to lean on my hands. My trainer calls that water skiing and I "occasionally" need a reminder to stop doing it!

We had a couple of run-outs at two different "scary" fences just the first couple of times but once he figured out that forward was the only option he was great. I wish I could say I was improving as fast as he is but sadly I don't think that is the case! I rode with two other students I don't normally ride with and both of them complemented Loki saying what a cute mover he is. :D On top of that my trainer said the greenest horse (Loki) actually performed the best. Double smiles!

Sadly no pictures from today but I felt about like this:

Considering we didn't jump anything higher than about 2'3" that isn't how we looked but that's alright. It felt great!

Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Haha i love the picture! I love when you have a good ride and feel like you just jumped in the GP ;)

    So excited he is coming along wonderfully for you!

    ReplyDelete