Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rain, Rain Please Come Today!

... and tomorrow and the day after that and the day after that...

I don't know what the weather is like where you live but here in southwest Ohio it is as dry as bone and the ground is as hard as rock. One of our local events has already been cancelled due to "the impending heat, humidity and drought conditions." Pretty soon I think it is going to look something like this:
Consequently, Mr. Loki is getting back shoes put on tomorrow as he had some heat in his hind feet today. It wasn't a lot and he isn't off at all but why take a chance? I am riding him about 5-6 times a week so I certainly don't begrudge him needing the shoes. My wallet might, but I don't!

Other than that things are going pretty great. The show as you might have seen from the previous post went amazingly well. Both Pony and Loki got a 1st and a 2nd place in the ground poles classes and Loki got a second in cross rails. I was very, very proud of him. We also did one warm-up class with bigger fences and he went over everything with no hesitations. (I should add that there were only about 4 or 5 other competitors in each of his classes and at least one of them didn't even make it all the way around the course!)

The reason we decided to do the ground poles was because the day before the show we had a fairly bad lesson. Loki started running out on a couple of fences and we had a very hard time getting it together. My trainer ended up getting on him and we worked through it but we wanted to have a positive experience at the show and I think we accomplished that.

What I learned was simply my horse HAS TO be put together before a jump. If I let him get all strung out before hand he will run-out, end of story. My trainer kept telling me that it had nothing to do with the actual jump but everything to do with what was happening before the jump. Well, I was a little skeptical at first but now I am a believer. Ever since I started concentrating on keeping him together right up to (and over) the jump we have had no major issues. We have a combined training test on Sunday at the starter level so I guess we'll see if we can keep it together through an actual show. 

I've also been riding other horses as much as possible. Logan (from Friends of Ferdinand) is doing wonderfully. I have started cantering him and he actually has quite a nice canter. He's still a little unbalanced and can be a bit fast but he has so much potential. Someone is going to get a nice horse with him I think.

I also rode Pony today but I was too lazy to put a saddle on her. I only ever ride her for about 10 minutes as I feel so big on her but she is coming along. I have to say that cantering on her is a little like torture, though!

Today I also got to ride a new horse that we just got in to try and sell. His name is Dauntless. He is an OTTB but most people probably wouldn't think that to look at him. He is built a little bit like a tank and he seems to have a bit sour of an attitude. My trainer rode him first and he did okay except that he does not move off your leg very well. I rode him for a while and he definitely had a bit of a hump in his back at times and even tried a small buck but I was able to keep my cool and just put leg on him and keep him moving. I even took him over a small cross rail. He acted like he wanted to buck again right after the jump but for the most part he wasn't horrible. I think my trainer was a little impressed with my willingness to not only ride him but to jump him as well.

One thing I can say about this summer so far is that I am becoming a better rider. Sure, I have a looooooong way to go but I'll take whatever improvement I can get!

(And more importantly I am totally enjoying the journey!)



4 comments:

  1. congrats on the show! he looks so cute with his ribbons!

    it's hot as hell here too which sucks because I really want to condition in our fields but the ground is SO HARD I hate doing it because I don't want to make them lame. We've just been walking up hills instead. :(

    good luck at the combined event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    The heat has definitely hit big time today but it looks as though the hind shoes are going to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh he looks so cute!!!

    yay for progress and getting to ride lots :)

    ReplyDelete