Saturday, August 11, 2012

Dressage Show

Loki and I participated in our last dressage show (for the season) today, sniff, sniff. He was a pretty good boy. All the sudden the temperature dropped by like 20 degrees yesterday and he actually thought about bucking during our warm-up. He just got a little hump in his back but didn't act on it but I could tell he was feeling pretty full of himself. We did the USEA Beginner Novice tests A & B again. Test A was okay except that we missed our lead on the first canter transition and I didn't even realize it! Duh! I haven't done that in a long time. I think I must've been asleep at the wheel. Plus he was so balanced I really didn't notice it. So I'm just telling myself that someday we're going to have an awesome counter-canter!

Test B went really well, including a 7 on our free walk. We came in first place on our test B with a 36 and 5th place (out of 6) on our Test A with a 44. The biggest thing I need to work on is just getting faster with my aids. These tests are so short and the transitions come up so fast I always feel like I'm a step behind.

Also, this is the second dressage show I've been to this summer where the judge has not acknowledged our halt/salute at all. I don't know what the protocol is but most of the time when I've ridden a dressage test the judge at least nods or waves or something after the salute. I don't know why but this really bothers me when the judge does nothing, not even hardly looking up at the salute. It just seems rude to me.

Anyways one more hunter show next weekend and that will be it for the summer. We've come so far and worked so hard. I'm sad the summer is ending but Loki has definitely earned some time off.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your scores, the summer really did fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully the next 9 months will do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I'm glad you all did well at the show! Those tests ARE short!! And don't worry about the canter, that happens to everyone from time to time. At River Glen, I CLUCKED during my test and she wrote it down "NO CLUCKING" and underlined it twice, I was so embarrassed ha. I just did it unconsciously since I've been more vocal with my riding since starting Wiz...oops!

    And thanks for the comments about Wiz! He did do really great. I hope next show season we both get to take our boys to some events :) Good luck next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I forget that voice commands are such a big deal. I haven't gotten caught during a test yet but I figure it is only a matter of time. I always talk to my horses when I'm riding, at the very least just to tell them they're doing a good job.

      I'm very excited for next year and I am very confident that Loki and I will be doing an event or two somewhere. We should know by around February where we will be next summer whether it is back in Ohio or in New York. I'm hoping for Ohio, of course, and it would be so much fun to see you and Wiz at an event!

      Delete
  4. Congrats!!! I love how far you and Loki have come along!

    ReplyDelete