Sunday, September 2, 2012

An International Horse Incident

Oh my gosh. I just got carbon copied on an email about something that happened at the barn (here in Japan) yesterday (Saturday night for you in the states). Apparently a girl came out on Sunday when no other American instructors were present. I don't have any details but she apparently had one of the lesson horses, Prince, in the round pen and something caused him to rear up and flip over on his side. He started bleeding from his nose and the Japanese owners were forced to call a vet out.

What? How? Who? Why???? These are just a few of the questions going through my head. As of right now, Monday morning over here, the horse is expected to make a recovery. The girl seems to be genuinely contrite and has offered to pay all vet fees so I don't think anything was done maliciously. Needless to say the head instructor has banned her from the barn for life. But how did this even happen? I'm sure there is much more to the story than I know and it isn't my intent to just push along barn gossip but seriously when is it ever okay to go to someone's barn and get their horses out without permission? I'm trying to wrap my head around the thinking that led to this incident in the first place and I have to say I'm a bit stumped. I believe the girl has been a volunteer in the past but I still don't see how that would lead her to believe it is okay to mess with the horses without anyone else present.


I'm not sure how this is going to effect the Japanese-American relationship out at the barn. I'm supposed to start my first lesson on Friday (instead of Saturday now) but I'm waiting to find out if that needs to be postponed, possibly indefinitely. I could see how the barn owners would be leery of any new Americans right now.


2 comments:

  1. wow... i am stumped too.. i am thinking the same questions you have! Keep us posted!

    Praying the horse is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friend's horses was kept at a barn in a neighborhood - like the fence literally met the road. It wasn't a barn-owner on property situation, so the horses weren't watched 24/7. A neighbor reported to my friend that a young neighborhood girl was breaking in and riding my friend's horse. She was horrified and, when the BO couldn't really fix the situation, moved the horse to a BO-on-site place. My guy is kept in a similar way - his barn is on the dead end of a residential area. Fortunately, my laissez-faire BO lives across the street. And I'm pretty sure Arch would haul away from any strangers approaching him with a bridle.
    Hope this horse is okay! It's probably going to be a long mental recovery for him. :(

    ReplyDelete