Monday, September 10, 2012

Settling In

Lori sent me a picture of Loki getting in some good grazing time this past week. I miss him so much already!
Well, it's been a little over two weeks now. So far all three kids are now in school (a first!), I've slept until 7 am three days in a row now and I've worked one day. I still can't get over the fact that I actually got paid to do something that I love, how cool is that?

Actually it was very, very hot. I ended up teaching three lessons on Saturday and led a beach ride. I slathered sunscreen on between each lesson and actually managed not to get burned. But I felt like crap by the end of the day. I guess I'm just not used to standing out in that kind of heat for that long of a time. The Japanese are in the middle of trying to change their sand arena into a grass arena so for right now the middle of the arena is off limits while they wait for the grass to take hold. This has made teaching very interesting as the only real riding space available is the track around the outside of the grass. I mention it because I found myself doing a lot of walking/jogging from one end of the arena to the other in order to tell a student this or that. There were, at times, two other lessons going on at the same time so yelling across the arena wasn't really working. No wonder I felt like crap afterwards!

The lessons were quite interesting. I've been riding and taking lessons for so long that you know I had sort of forgotten what a beginner/early intermediate lesson felt/looked like. I kept racking my brain for different exercises for my students to do to make the lesson more interesting. I had to remind myself that at this stage in riding the most important thing, really, is simply getting time in the saddle. I also found myself repeating some of the same phrases over and over. They are probably familiar to you. The main one being "keep your heels down!" By golly I felt like an actual real instructor, lol.

Starting next week I am going to be working three days a week but only for a couple of hours a day and around 4 or 5 hours on Saturdays. Right now I am just subbing for someone. I don't know for sure if this will last the entire time I'm here or not but I'm enjoying having a "job" for the time being.

Oh and last but not least, Prince was looking much better the last time I saw him. He is still far, far from being out of danger but because he shows small signs of improvement each day we are hoping that he can and will get better. Unfortunately only time will tell and we're not sure exactly how much time the Japanese will give him. So keep your fingers crossed for him.
 

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh I don't know how you can go so long without seeing your boy!! I'd go crazy lol. But I hope you enjoy your time in Japan and get to come back soon! And enjoy your new job :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying Prince continues to get better!

    Yay for keeping busy and working :)

    ReplyDelete