Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Killing Me Softly

I've spent a lot of time feeling sorry for the horses over here. It's not really that hard to do when you compare the care these horses receive to what most horses receive in the U.S. Try as I might I just can't wrap my mind around the mentality I encounter every time I am at the barn here. But last night I felt like I had a small epiphany. I had the sudden though of what if... what if I had been born here and this barn was the only thing I knew about horses.

It made me think of some of the Japanese girls that I've seen riding out at the barn. Did they have stars in their eyes when they first saw a horse? I have always loved horses. I can't remember a time when I didn't have horses somewhere on my mind.

But would I still feel the same about horses now if I had grown up in an environment like this? I wonder if my passion would have died softly without me really even being aware of it? I would probably never have known what a true partnership or bond with a horse felt like and how it can make you feel like the most special person on earth.

Yes, we tend to anthropomorphize our animals a lot but for good reason I think. I'll never forget when I had Ghazal shipped out to be with me my second year in college. He heard my voice before he saw me but as soon as he heard me he neighed and came running over to where I was standing. Felt. Like. A. Million. Bucks.

And the girls and boys who come to ride here will most likely never get to experience it.

Honestly, the whole thing just makes me very sad sometimes. More than anything I really just want the next six months to be over so I can get home and hug and love on my ponies. I am very thankful for the many blessings I have in my life tonight. Sure, I might not be Jessica Springsteen blessed (who is?!) but after living here I really do realize how very rich I am in so many ways. Go hug your horse!

Just one of the faces I am missing



5 comments:

  1. If you put it into perspective, a lot of kids will never experience that same thing that you did, having a connection with a horse, at all. Not just in Japan, but in the US alone, most kids have no access to horses. It's a cost prohibitive sport, we who get to participate at any level are very, very fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true of course! I think it is more noticeable here b/c in the states we (or at least I) tend to surround myself with fellow equestrians so it seems so much more common even though it isn't really. Also, I think what saddens me in this particular situation is that they have the horses and the means here but just fall flat due to ignorance or some sort of cultural difference that I just don't quite understand. It's sort of like being one number off on the power ball game... so close and yet still so far away.

      Delete
    2. That's where you get to be awesome though and actually interact and try to help other fill that void!

      Delete
  2. Ah I bet your ponies are missing you too but in no time you will be home with them... I am anticipating the next 6 months going by quickly as well for hubbys new job to start and when it comes I am sure I will look back and this that this was no time at all, even though right now it feels like years!

    How blessed are we to have horses to LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the uplifting comments guys! I know 6 months will pass quickly when I look back at it and I am doing my best out at the barn here to be a positive influence. :)

    ReplyDelete