Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Eventers; We may be crazy but we aren't INSANE!

(Sorry no quote today.)

There have been quite a few things going on that I want to write about but just haven't quite had the time or motivation or something. I need to start making a list so I don't forget.

But, today I had the misfortune chance to go to the circus with a whole bunch of 2nd graders. (Go me!) Actually it was pretty fun other than being a little cold and worrying that I would lose track of one of my charges.

The "Big Top" from the bus window.
I haven't been to the circus since I was, I don't know, seven or maybe eight or nine years old. So while I knew what to expect I had really forgotten just what the circus was all about. This was a pretty small circus (just one small ring) but there were still quite a few impressive acts.

There were only a couple of acts involving animals. A 5 Zebra quadrille that was only unique because it was Zebras. Two elephants that just did a couple of standard tricks, a lion tamer and one giraffe.

The giraffe was pretty interesting. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a giraffe in a circus or any other kind of animal troupe before. He (definitely a male, lol) just walked around and "bowed" a couple of times by eating food out of a bowl. It was kind of funny to see the little halter attached to about a 25' lead rope. There was no making that giraffe do anything he didn't want to do. A couple of times the handler gave a little tug on the lead rope and the giraffe decided he wasn't ready to move yet and the handler (wisely) waited a few seconds and then politely asked again. I tried to snap a picture on my i-phone but as you can see below it didn't turn out too well. Unfortunately there were camera nazis all over the place so I wasn't able to get any good pictures.

Hard to tell but this is the giraffe "bowing."
 None of the animal performances bothered me except the lions. I have to say that that particular show bothered me quite a bit. I don't know much about big cats or anything but judging by the amount of cringing every time the "tamer" got near the lions with his stick or whip I have to imagine that they get hit quite often. Also, watching the lions growl and threaten the tamer every time he walked by was making me feel very uneasy. (Which I suppose is kind of the point but definitely not my cup of tea!)

The trapeze act has always been one of my favorites and I think in another life, under different circumstances I could have been a very good gymnast and would have loved to do something like that.

This brings me to the point of the title for this blog. There were two acts that were really fun to watch but OMG those people are INSANE. I think I'd rather ride the Rolex XC course than attempt either of these acts.

One act was the motorcycles in the steal ball where three people drive motorcycles around in circles at very fast speeds including occasionally going pretty darn close to upside down all without hitting each other or the two even more INSANE people who are just standing in the middle of the ball just waiting to get run over. I'm pretty sure I've seen something similar maybe on t.v. before but I had forgotten how really crazy that act is.
I found this picture on the net. Apparently this act is aptly named The Ball of Death

The other act is a little more difficult to explain so I'll just show you a picture from the internet:
Also aptly named as The Rings of Death
Let me just say that the guy running around the outside of the ring is clearly a few french fries short of a Happy Meal! No safety net or anything, either, but it was pretty amazing to watch.

So yeah, after today jumping over fixed obstacles at speed doesn't seem nearly so crazy anymore!

My very own 2nd grader and I waiting for the show to begin



1 comment:

  1. That first Ring of Death was like one shown on America Has Talent, on TV, but I would never do such an absurd maneuver. And I, too, would be disturbed by animals reacting as though they were beaten regularly. Although I think most circuses are better about treating their animals humanely now, that was not always the way. Just like how horses were treated, when they were seen as machines. As humans evolve, so do they recognize the "life" in other living beings. Not always, but it's getting better.

    ReplyDelete