Sunday, January 6, 2013

I Still Don't Know...

what I want to be when I grow up.  Okay, okay I know I'm already grown up so this is a silly statement. But, sometimes I still don't really feel like I've found my "thing." yet. Being a military spouse makes it very difficult to have a career. Constant moves keep you from being able to work your way up any kind of employment chain. Adding to that three children and it is easy to give up on the more conventional idea of a career.

But, I read this article from Chronicle of the Horse the other day about the George Morris training sessions. An excerpt:
One can never say that George H. Morris doesn’t lead by example. In each of the two groups working on the flat with no stirrups on Day 4 of the GHM Horsemastership Training Sessions, Morris himself put in a solid 20 minutes of no-stirrups work on one of the horses.
George Morris is 74 years old and still riding around for at least 20 minutes at a time without stirrups. So yeah, I don't know what I want to be but I definitely know what I want to be able to do! He really is an inspiration!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch any of the training sessions even though the USEF Network is streaming them here. Our internet is just so slow. Sometimes it takes me 20 minutes just to be able to watch a 10 minute video off of youtube!

Morris demonstrating stirrup-less riding.
I still haven't downloaded pictures yet so the New Years Beach Ride is still in the works but thank goodness today marks the return of routine! The kids are all back in school and I went to the gym. I'll be heading out to the barn in a couple of hours and before I know it I'll be able to scratch another day off the calendar!

I've also started reading The Elements of Dressage book. I figure I'll start each new blog post with a quote from the book while I'm reading it. Sort of a way to keep me motivated or something. Today's quote is:
Remember, the horse is stronger than you. Once he finds out that resistance may be a way to evade your control or even frighten you, you have lost a good part of your authority. You must convince the horse to cooperate. The horse must understand what you expect him to do. It's easier to handle one pound of brain than a thousand pounds of horsepower.                                                                                                 ~Kurd Albrecht Von Ziegner

4 comments:

  1. A perfect quote from your reading... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last part of that quote is going somewhere in my barn, maybe on the bulletin board as a bumper sticker. It's perfect! I know that the brain is easier to work with than the body, but hadn't heard it put that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quote!

    I also love how GM is able to ride without stirrups! I can't quite do 20 min but sure need to get my bootie in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you all liked the quote. The book is really good so far! And Karley, I know how you feel. I need to get crackin' on the no stirrup thing as well.

    ReplyDelete