Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Another Birthday

Happy Birthday to the old man...




He is 24 years old today. Most of my pictures of Zel are not on my computer. I need to do some scanning though so that I can be sure to keep them. I even have one baby picture of him. I just can't believe he is 24!!!! We've been together since right before he turned 3 so for over 20 years. Riding him is like wearing your most comfortable shoe. I think it and he does it most of the time. I plan on putting him back into some light work this summer being a lead line pony for my girls and giving a few lessons. I know he will enjoy the attention. I just hope I can find the time to make it happen.

Happy Birthday Ghazal - Zelly belly. You were certainly my first love and taught me way more than I ever managed to teach you!

Make sure you give him some extra love pats and treats today Min!

4 comments:

  1. My oldest is Havannah, who will be 20 this July. Juno will be 17 in June--get it, Juno and June?--and Athene will be 8 in May. Are Arabs long lived horses? If so, Gazal probably has at least ten more years. Lusitanos are long lived, too, as are my donkeys, who live into their 40s. I dread the day that I lose any of them.

    Have Mindee give Gazal a carrot from me, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Arabs are generally pretty long-lived and I know Ghazal's dam and sire both lived well into their 30s. Ghazal's had a pretty easy life too so barring any flukes he should be around for quite some time.

      I'll tell her and thanks!

      Delete
  2. Aw he's so beautiful! I'm glad you still have him in my life. My first horse I had for 10 years, and by the end it was like you described- where you think it and they do it. Unfortunately he broke his hip and we had to put him down a couple years ago. :( He lived a good long life, though. I've worked with Wiz since he was 2, and I'm hoping he's around for a long time, like you and Zel. That's a special thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really awesome that you've had Wiz since he was 2. I do think that it makes a little bit of a difference when you've had them that long. I remember for the longest time I was literally the only person who had ever even sat on Ghazal. The very first time I had my trainer ride him just so I could actually see what he looked like he kept trying to creep in on the circle to get to me. He kept looking at me like "what are you doing down there, mom?" I'm not entirely sure I'll ever bond with another horse quite as much as I did with him. The Arabs I'm used to being around do tend to be a little more quirky and personable than a lot of other horses, though, so maybe it was just Ghazal more than anything.

      Delete