Saturday, May 25, 2013

The Lives We Touch

I just read about the passing of Carlos over on Viva Carlos yesterday. It is hard to be happy when someone you know is hurting so much.

When I first started blogging, reading blogs and then later starting this one, I gravitated towards blogs written by people with similar interests as mine. Horses, yes but also people who were eventers or interested in eventing. I can't remember when I started reading Viva Carlos but L, the blog owner, is a very gifted writer and she easily hooked me.

What I learned or at least what I was reminded is that we are all connected by our love of these magnificent animals. L helped to put a face to the hunter/jumpers out there for me. Instead of reading negative things in the news I was reading about a young lady who cared deeply about the well being of her horse and was also passionate about her sport and becoming a better rider and horsewoman. All of our sports could use that more personal touch. All of our chosen disciplines have negative aspects and selfish people who have tarnished reputations in the pursuit of the win. How nice is it to be able to focus on those people whose presence makes their world and their discipline better.

We might not all agree about the various methods and ways of doing something and that is okay when we put our equine partner's well-being first.

L showed the depth of her love and respect for Carlos by making the hardest decision any of us will ever make for our best four-legged friends. She put his welfare above her own desire to not have to let go. My thoughts and prayers are with her as she goes through this time of grief. Carlos became real for me through her writing about him and even though I didn't even know him I will miss him. And in honor of Carlos I have decided to start diversifying my reading even further to include even more different disciplines. 

R.I.P. Carlos

8 comments:

  1. Why did L have to put Carlos down? I am dreading the day I must do that. I've had to put five cats down in my life, but not a horse. The idea is crushing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was diagnosed with navicular earlier this month. You can read about it here: http://suenostomanvuelo.blogspot.jp/2013/05/you-can-not-redo.html

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous tribute. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really beautiful. I've always felt we are ambassadors for our sport or passions and H/J gets a terrible rep from all the controversy at the highest echelons (since the 60s!) I'm really happy to have gotten to know you through blogging as well. Gosh, this made me tear up. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, although I'm sorry I made you tear up.

      Delete