Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Report (part 2) Where Numbers Are Better Than Letters

XC Day! If you've ever participated then you know how addicting it is, the excitement, the adrenaline, the nerves! LOL. I can't wait to do it again.


But Saturday was Loki's first XC Day and without me (sad but happy face). Like the day before it was a bit of a mixed bag of chips.


The good: Loki was very forward and bold. He jumped everything without a second thought. After this trip my trainer has absolutely no doubt, if there ever was any, of his ability to at least go to the Training level and possibly even higher. This is great news because I see myself wanting to go just a little higher someday... maybe... Did I say that out loud?
The not so good: Loki was a little too bold. Okay, it wasn't really a "bold" thing so much as a he wanted to just run at the jumps instead of taking the time to adjust and really use himself over the jumps. Because of this Lori had to do a big circle after fence 12 which resulted in 10 time penalties. This is how she put it:

The big thing for this horse is getting him to stay soft and supple, and then adjustable. He is trying out going fast rather than using himself or taking a moment to answer the rider. The jumps are not an issue and if he was more rateable [rideable?] I would go ahead and take him novice. Training will not be an issue. We just need him to soften and be rideable. He had moments just not enough.

So I find myself needing a reminder that hey, he's only been at this for about 6-7 weeks or so after having 7 months off! We've really asked a lot of him and I think he is answering as best he can. I learned enough about him last summer to know that he is as honest a horse as they come. He might try to find a way out of working hard but it is never out of a bad nature.

And He did end up in 8th place out of 13 riders. So maybe not quite the result I was looking hoping for but he had no jumping penalties and finished on his dressage score with just a little time. That is really HUGE! (No pesky letters like E on his score!)

For more pictures you can go here: Click on the Greater Dayton tab and Loki was entry #93. You might also notice that the cover photo for Greater Dayton is of Loki (that's how fine he looks, lol)!!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great experience for his first outing. Plenty for ye to worko n together over the summer, which is what every rider wants, no? Stuff to work on and improve together, :)
    Maybe thats just me ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree... I am looking forward to the journey!

      Delete
  2. It's a learning curve and a good experience. Its wonderful that he is getting out to events while you aren't there and maybe when you guys step out together he'll be welling with confidence and you guys will do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am super excited that he is getting out and about and can't wait to get home and ride him myself!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a successful outing and useful assessment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Haha... he'll definitely be a star to me!

      Delete
  5. Shoot after having so many months off and only a few weeks in work I think he is doing awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete