Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sit It

I got to ride again today. Evie was still sick this morning but *knock on wood* everybody finally seems to be recovered at this point. Jet lag is still kicking my tail but it is getting better. In many ways it is hard to believe we've been home for less than a week. We've gotten a lot accomplished.

I had the BEST ride this morning. First I have a little confession which is I have never truly been able to sit the trot. I've been riding for over 20 years and I've never been able to really do this. I have some pretty good excuses. Mainly I've never ridden any horses that were truly round and for the first 15-17 years of my riding career I was self-taught. I did all the training on Ghazal myself and was pretty clueless add to that his conformation and he really never did learn how to use himself and consequently always had the bounciest trot. It was certainly not ideal for learning to sit.

Fast forward to this morning where I decided to give it another practice. (Yes, I have been practicing over the last couple of years!) All of the sudden from the very get-go of this ride I was able to sit the trot like I'd been doing it for years instead of merely seconds. It was such a crazy good feeling! I think the reasons this happened are two-fold. Loki is actually using his back now, not 100% of the time but enough that he was able to give me a back to sit on. The other reason is that even though I didn't get to ride a whole lot while in Japan I did make great use of the time I had. I always rode without my stirrups and just worked worked worked on me. Between that and the running and truly getting in the best shape I think I've ever been and the time was just ripe.

Definitely one of the most clear light-bulb moments I've ever had. I'm half afraid it was a fluke and I'll go back to ride again tomorrow and it will be gone. I guess I'll have to see in the morning.

The ride was also good from other perspectives. Loki was much more giving today and seemed much more ready to work. I actually got a nice slow and BALANCED canter out of him. I texted my trainer and said I didn't even realize he HAD a slow canter. It's really nice to ride him and feel the difference the last two months of training have done for him. I certainly feel like the training fees was money well spent.

Still no new pictures. With the kids sick Jay just hasn't been able to get out to the barn with me yet. But there is a little schooling dressage show on the property this weekend that I am going to ride in so hopefully I'll have pictures of that!

 

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo, well done!

    I read your last post at a time when I couldn't comment, but I really liked it -- the nerves made a ton of sense and it was awesome that you tackled the first ride in a situation that worked so well for giving a good experience and confidence. Off to a great (re)start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Being fit ad using your core is what helps me most with sitting the trot. Exciting about a show this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that it is all coming together and that the training has paid off - onwards and upwards!
    hope the kids feel better soon and that you have fun in your show at the weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suck at the sitting trot too.. Henry is SO BOUNCY!

    Sounds like you are having fun with Loki! :) Yay show this weekend!

    ReplyDelete