Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What We've Been Up To

Well it's been over a week since our little escapade while XC schooling last Monday. So what have we been doing? Lots! I decided that we needed a serious review of our ground manners and ground work for starters. That has been going great so far. He started off not wanting to trot in-hand and not wanting to back up and we've got those two issues mainly sorted out. We've also been working on turning on the forehand. That is coming along a little slower. By Thursday of last week he was walking all over the property and paying attention mostly to me, stopping when I stopped, backing when I asked, etc. I had forgotten how important doing these little things are in developing a relationship with a horse. I think I would love to do some showmanship classes with him someday.

We've also been doing some lunging. This isn't the "just run him around until he's tired" lunging. (I want to save that for show emergencies!) In fact we have yet to get to cantering on the lunge. We're just mainly focusing on voice commands and keeping a nice steady and most importantly relaxed pace. The biggest issue, not-surprisingly has been the halt and whoa commands. He's getting them but it still takes him a few extra seconds to respond.

Beyond that we've also been riding. The focus for that has been the same as everything else which is to just have a nice and relaxed ride. Of course it is impossible to regenerate the exact same circumstances that caused the issue in the first place but I have taken him out to the big front field several times and we've done some cantering and small hand-gallops without any issues.

And finally I was able to take him trail riding today. He was PERFECT! Honestly, if we wash out as eventers Loki has it made as a trail horse, except maybe for his height, lol! I had to do a lot of ducking as the trails were getting a bit overgrown. But still I couldn't have asked for a calmer more relaxed horse. I even had him canter some and he was perfect. I think at least half of this stems from the fact that my background is in trail riding so I am super confident on the trails and therefor very relaxed. I need to figure out how to recreate that feeling for when we go XC schooling or anytime we ride in big, open spaces.

I'm even thinking about taking Loki on a small Competitive Trail Ride in a month and a half. It's a local one that I used to mark trails for so I'm very familiar with it and I know he would be easy enough to get in shape to do it. I just need to find someone to ride with me I think. But we'll see.

Horses: we're up and we're down, lol! luckily the ups generally seem to outnumber the downs.

10 comments:

  1. Love a good trail horse. :) You guys will get it all sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good trail horse is a special thing! I'm sure Loki is just as good at eventing though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love a good trail horse! And thanks I think so too!

      Delete
  3. Ah what a good boy!! Trails make me nervous but Henry seems to like the wanderings we do on the property.

    Sounds like the trail outing would be a blast for you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time. I always enjoy a good trail ride.

      Delete
  4. The competitive trail ride would be fun! you should do it! I'm glad to hear you're having success working with him on the ground; I promise it translates up into the saddle! That's something I need to go back and work with with Wiz again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I wish I didn't have two google accounts, I always forget which one I'm signed in to... so confusing ha

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am already seeing a difference u/s I think! It's so easy to get "too busy" to do it but it is so worth making the time to do it.

      (It's like you've got a split personality, lol!)

      Delete
    3. Definitely very easy to get too busy! I keep meaning to purchase a rope halter and lead and get on that... (I think it's easier with the rope halter).

      And it's because youtube changed it where you had to sign in with a google account, so my old e-mail got linked up to a google account. When I made a google e-mail account, it wouldn't let me combine them! So my g-mail is under its own e-mail address and my blogger dashboard/youtube is under an AOL e-mail. SO STUPID. Google, just let me combine them! Maybe I should write customer support...

      Delete