Saturday, July 6, 2013

Are You Losing Your Hair?

Nope! Just pulling it out in fits of saddle finding frustration!

I don't want to spend a lot of time on this subject or on this post because I feel like the woes of saddle shopping have been covered once... or twice... ad infinitum...

When you have a pretty limited budget, ideally $2,000 or less, and are super petite with a need for short flaps and a desire for forward flaps... well you might as well be searching for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. (Unless of course you can afford to have a saddle custom made.)
My trainer found a devoucoux on ebay that was a little outside my budget but had the coveted 0AA flaps (that's short extra forward) that was available for a trial. So I went ahead and took the plunge and had it sent from California. I rode in it one time and it was okay but the right stirrup bar was just slightly bent forward, you couldn't even tell visually, enough that I could feel it rubbing just under my thigh. It might have been worth trying to have fixed except this saddle was an '04 and it was in what I would consider a very well used state and they wanted $3,000 for it. I know these saddles tend to be well loved but I just couldn't stomach paying that much money for it so I sent it back. I hope I don't regret that!
Then I went down to Lexington to meet with a rep for the Wise Equestrian Saddles. It's about a 2 hour drive for us so we, my husband and I, decided to make a family trip out of it and planned to take the kids to visit the Kentucky Horse Park. I had contacted the rep and he had what sounded like two very good possible saddles that were on sale, 25% off the retail price. So we headed down.

I'm not kidding the sales rep showed up an hour and at least 15 or more minutes late.
I'm not even sure I need to say anything else after that. WTH!!! Apparently the saddle business is booming and there is no need to at least give a courtesy "hey I'm going to be late" call to a potential client. On top of that the saddles were NOT what was expected at all. We only got to see about a third of the park due to waiting around for this guy to show up. Talk about being angry!! Needless to say I will not be attempting to purchase one of those saddles... ever.
And then we come to the saddle I've been riding in for the last week or so. It's my trainer's Amerigo Pinerolo. It's a monoflap, foward flap saddle that is just slightly too big for me. I've enjoyed riding in it and I do feel like it has improved my form especially over fences. My trainer wants to sell it for $3,000 with a girth and stirrup leathers.
I just don't think I want to pay that much money for a saddle that I might not be 100% satisfied with. It does fit Loki the best of anything else I've tried, although I do still need to use a half-pad so it isn't perfect, but I hate that it is a bit too big for me. What do you guys think? Would you ride in a saddle that was a good fit for your horse but not a great fit for you? I'm pretty sure it is more a cosmetic thing in that I don't think the size affects my riding.
I don't know... maybe it isn't that bad.
And then there is the price of $3,000. I don't want to pay that much if I can help it, although I think that is probably a little unrealistic on my part. A friend suggested that my trainer was asking a bit too much for it. But, when I look on Ebay and other used saddle sites I have to say it seems to be about average to maybe slightly higher than similar saddles. And when you factor in the girth and leathers... I just don't know.

And that is where it stands as of right now. I can't borrow my trainer's saddle forever so I will probably have to go back to riding in my Bates. I can't help but think maybe this isn't the best time to try and buy a used saddle right in the middle of riding season. Maybe I can live with my old saddle and just keep looking until the right saddle turns up. It's going to take a little magic I think.

23 comments:

  1. Ugh. I can't believe how hard it is to find a saddle that fits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saddle shopping is very difficult unless you happen to be a very average sized person riding a very averaged shaped horse.

      Delete
  2. Would you like a Liebster award?
    http://paolashorseblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/liebster-awarded.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck girl!! Saddle searching sucks!!

    Can you save a little longer and get custom?

    I don't think your trainers saddle looks too bad- but you have to decide what you want :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think waiting and saving is going to be the way to go. I like my trainer's saddle okay but for something so important I think it needs to be better than ok. Thanks for the luck!

      Delete
  4. I bought my Custom Revolution dressage saddle (used) from these folks: http://used.cwdsellier.com/saddle/

    They sell EVERYTHING and they're priced competitively. You might give them a try. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Speedy G, the first saddle I looked at, the Devoucoux was from that site. I don't know if it was just us or what but we weren't super happy with their customer service. When they sent us the saddle they were supposed to send us an email confirmation with the shipping tracking #. We didn't get it for two days so my husband called and found out they spelled my name wrong but would send it "right away." Still didn't get it by the end of the day so he called again and they "were just getting to it." We never did get any email from them. I would have bought the saddle but the condition was just not what I expected so it went back and now I'm not sure I'd want to try another one of their saddles. $150 to ship it back and forth can add up really quickly if the saddles don't work out!

      Delete
    2. Oh, bummer. I had great luck with them. Hopefully you'll find something soon.

      Delete
  5. If you wait longer can you save more to be a more competitive buyer and get what you want/need?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that might be the way to go. I will keep looking in case something just happens to pop up but for now waiting and saving is the plan.

      Delete
  6. My saddle is a 14 inch barrel saddle..I HAVE to have a size smaller than normal or else Red's gait completely knocks me off. Lol!! I could use a 15 inch, but I feel more comfortable in my 14 inch. I think the size depends on if you can ride correctly and stay on with it a size too large-or small- If you feel comfortable in it and it fits your need, I say go for a larger saddle. I put Red first, as I know you do with Loki, so if I had to choose a saddle that is comfortable for Red but not for me, I'd buy it over the one that makes Red uncomfortable. Good luck on your saddle endeavors!! Thankfully I've had good luck so far.
    Www.Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that fit for the horse is more important than fit for the rider but overall it would be nice for it to fit both of us so I'm going to wait and try and find something else. We'll see how that works out. :)

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't spend 3k on something I didn't absolutely love. You're right--your trainer's saddle doesn't fit you very well. You really can't shorten your stirrups any more than they are already, and they're only going to get shorter as you move up.

    If you can make do with yours, I'd pass on the trainer's saddle and save up/wait for something better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree and I've already told her I'm not going to buy it. Thanks for the opinions!

      Delete
  8. You've been Liebster awarded! :) Go to my blog to check it out!
    Www.Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'll try to get to it when I can. :)

      Delete
  9. I would ride in a saddle that fit my horse well and didn't fit me, but NOT for 2,000$!!! That's like, for a cheap saddle, I would do that, temporarily. You should try a kentaur. It's what I ride in, and it's amazing- it's really good for short legged peeps :) Although good luck finding them... you might have to buy it from the uk lol. But they are in your price range! Super comfortable.

    But I share your pain- I hate saddle shopping. Hate it. Hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out the Kentaur, thanks! Yeah, it's too much money for something I'd be dissatisfied with from the beginning.

      Saddle shopping is the worst! Unless you have gobs of money, then maybe it isn't so bad, lol.

      Delete
  10. That saddle looks too big to me, but it's totally preference. If you're not sold on it, then wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I agree. I'm going to wait.

      Delete