Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Riding Riding Riding

That's pretty much the story of my life right now with a few other fun things thrown in just to mix it up.

Right now I'm riding three different horses. My trainer hosts some of the Friends of Ferdinand OTTBs as they are waiting for their new homes. I've been riding two of them, Sir Edward and a mare named Ginny for the past two weeks. It's been great for me because I'm getting more time in the saddle and as each horse is different they give me different things to work on and challenges to overcome. Both Ginny and Ed are very green so we've mainly just been working on straightness and trying to find some rhythm. Ginny is all go go go and Ed is all slow slow slow, ha! Ed would make a very nice hunter. There is nothing hurry up about him (unless another horse trots or canters towards him then he gets a little panicky but we are working on that one) but he actually has very nice gaits and he has done really well over the small crossrails I've taken him over.
So tired after a hard work out.

I need to start riding my sister's horse, Zahir, a.k.a. Z, as well but he is at a my sister's place another 15 minutes out from where Loki is boarded and nearly 35 from home. I feel very guilty for not figuring the logistics of this out yet but hopefully I'll get my rear in gear soon and then I'll be riding four horses! Go me!

Selfies with a horse are not so easy to do!
Loki continues to progress one day at a time. I am reminded that the one ingredient that absolutely cannot be left out of the equation for training a horse is TIME! It's so easy to get impatient and think "he should have this by now." But, no really he shouldn't. It takes time to "make" a horse especially if you want to do it right. God knows I've already made plenty of mistakes but I hope I never let my impatience get the best of our training. So in that regard I continue to find as many opportunities to trail ride/hack as I can. I really think it is good for both of us. No nagging about this or that or working on the other thing, just good old fashioned fun.

Speaking of fun!:

All three kiddos enjoying the mini-scrambler

Love this close-up of Elaina really enjoying herself with her brother.
Other than the riding we've gone to a fair, gone swimming, played at the park and many other fun things. Summer is really flying! We finally move into our house on August 1st and we are super excited! I am supposed to do a schooling show on Saturday but right now the weather channel is predicting the possibility of severe thunderstorms so we'll see what happens.

Stay cool in this heat!

13 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of the kiddos! They are adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are adorable when they aren't being obnoxious. :P

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of horses -- good fer you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a great opportunity that I'm trying not to take for granted.

      Delete
  3. Dang girl you are a horse riding machine! How awesome that you have the opportunity to ride them all!!

    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't always get to ride all three of them on the same day but it is a great opportunity.

      Delete
  4. Ah its so hard to be patient! but i'm glad to hear you're getting a lot of riding time in and having some fun as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Patience is tough for sure. It's one thing that never seems to get easier with practice. :/

      Delete
    2. In reply to your comment on my blog- I am only planning to move Wiz because my trainer is leasing our current barn, and the owner died about a year ago. I think the brothers are kind of trying to force us off so they can sell it, so the condition of the place has been rapidly deteriorating and they won't let us fix anything. My trainer has been looking for a farm, but I think she's going to end up moving too far away for me. She actually put me on the waiting list for this other farm before even asking me! So it's not that I'm unhappy with my current situation, just kind of time to go, and I better go before it all falls apart and there's no where for me to move! :)

      And, here's a raspberry colored ear bonnet, the same type I bought for Wiz, for 9.99... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BQ5VKI/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1NN3WF42SSDWBDGA4EKV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

      I think shipping is cheap, too. Might be worth a try ;)

      (and I agree about patience!)

      Delete
  5. Patience is the name of the game right now for me too. You're so fortunate to have so many to ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very grateful for the opportunity. Good luck with playing the patience game. It is always worth it in the end but so hard in the middle.

      Delete
  6. It is SO.GOOD. to ride other horses. Yay saddle time! :) Looks like you are having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having a wonderful summer! I guess I'm trying to make up for the many hours of riding I missed while in Japan, haha!

      Delete