Sunday, July 28, 2013

Whirlwind

Wow, time really does fly sometimes!

I meant to write a before post but I just ran out of time. My husband and I went on a short vacation to visit some friends. First we went down to Virginia to see some friends who just adopted the sweetest little boy ever. We only had time to stay one night before we were off again in the other direction.

We drove north to Connecticut next. We opted to bypass going through D.C. and instead drove up along the coast through Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey. As we were driving in Delaware a sign caught my eye.

Right on our route was this tack store that I've ordered from before and they were having a huge tent sale! So of course we had to stop. I did get a couple of things such as a lead rope, some gloves, etc. Of course you gotta get horses in on your vacation somehow. :)
They let you go through their warehouse! It was like I got to step into the pages of a horse catalog. So much fun!
My loot!
After that little distraction we headed on to a little place called New Haven, Connecticut. One of our friends is a professor at Yale which is located in New Haven. We spent one night and day there. It is a beautiful place and we had a short but great time.

Finally we headed to our final destination on this trip, West Point, NY. We went to another friend's wedding. This was also a great opportunity to see West Point where we will be in two years. Oh my gosh, it was ah-mA-zing! I have just a couple of pictures but honestly the pictures do not even begin to do the place justice. I can't believe we will be living there. It will be like being in a gothic fairy tail. The winters will be crazy!
The Cadet Chapel
Inside the Cadet Chapel where the wedding took place
Jay got to be part of the sabre arch for the bride & groom to walk through. It was pretty fun & cool
Jay and me at Trophy Point
There was also some horse investigating to be done. The big discovery was there is a very nice tack store.
Whinnies & Knickers will be my new local tack store in 2 years.
The two ladies working at the tack store were super nice and gave me a list of local barns to check out. Of course a whole lot can happen in 2 years so I know I'm jumping the gun a little bit but it was still fun to check things out. And it was a big relief to know that there seem to be plenty of barns in the area. Although, holy cow! the prices are going to be quite a bit higher than what I'm used to. Yikes!

I really wanted to get to Morgan Farms which is the home of the U.S. Army Intercollegiate equestrian team as well as home to the Army Mules but unfortunately we ran short on time. I did get to drive by it and see how beautiful the place is but I wasn't able to stop. You can find quite a bit of information here, though, and I have a feeling this might be one of the places I consider when I move Loki. It will certainly be the closest.
From the website. This is one of my favorite equestrian quotes and so appropriate
So anyways, I am quite behind with blogs/blogging, etc. I've tried to catch up as much as I can but we have another busy week coming up. Our furniture is supposed to arrive sometime very soon and we are doing the final walk-thru and getting the keys to our house tomorrow. So many things going on!

9 comments:

  1. I am SO jealous of your Chicks Saddlery visit. :O I order from them all the time! They follow all of my boards on Pinterest, too, and always ask how Red is doing..Super nice customer service. ;)
    Beautiful chapel! Love all of the flags!
    Hope your little move goes well! Better you than me, I hate packing/unpacking/moving..lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun to visit. They have some great deals for sure!

      Delete
  2. Exciting about the house! And West Point is gorgeous. Unfortunate about the prices, though! People are always surprised when they move to Knoxville, TN to find that to board at a nice farm, it's going to easily cost you 550-1200$ a month for full care. We had a boarder from California and one from Colorado and both said they had always paid around 200-300 for full care. Big difference! I would have thought those states would have been more expensive! But I can imagine New York being more expensive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the proximity to a big city is the biggest factor in price. Board around here runs anywhere from $250-$550. West Point is somewhat rural on the one hand but on the other it is only about 60 miles north of New York City. The average board seemed to be around $800 so about double what I'm paying now. But we'll see what happens in two years. Maybe I'll win the lottery. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love CT! Best of luck with a move at least you have some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entire New England area was really lovely. We are super excited but we do have some time before we get there and will enjoy living near family in the meantime. It's a win-win!

      Delete
  4. This will be fantastic... and if Eventing is your game, you will be a member of Area 1. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will totally be in Area 1!! I can't wait to check out some of the venues in that area!

      Delete
  5. Whoa, that tent sale looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete