Friday, August 16, 2013

Ground 1 Face 0

Wow! Sorry it has been such a long time again. We've been up to our eyeballs in the move. The good news is all of our stuff is finally in the house and mostly unpacked. The not so good news is we are still waiting for my M.I.L.'s stuff to be moved in and sorted. She has a bajillion tons of stuff and she wants to keep it all. This is very stressful to all of us b/c Jay and I hate clutter but his Mom is very attached to all of her stuff. Hopefully we'll get this worked out soon.

On the horse front I'm afraid we've had a pretty massive set back. As you might have guessed from the title my face and the ground got into it and of course the ground won. I'd love to tell you all the grizzly details about what happened but unfortunately my memory is very limited due to the concussion I received. I was apparently unconscious for a minute or two. I know we were jumping and everything was going just fine until the last line. I remember jumping the first fence and pretty much nothing after that except that I clearly remember my foot getting stuck in my stirrup and the sensation of Loki falling. My friend happened to have looked away as we were going over the fence so she didn't see what happened. I'm not sure if Loki tripped going into the jump and just didn't clear it or if he just really crashed through the fence and tripped himself. It was not very high, 2'6" at most so I don't know what to think, other than I'm 90% sure the fall wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't gotten my foot stuck in the stirrup. The first thing I will do when I get back to the barn is switch my stirrups out.
By the state of my face afterwards I would guess I landed something like this
My chin and nose are quite swollen and I have a hole in my mouth behind my chin from where my teeth hit. All the ct scans and x-rays came back negative, though, so I will be fine. I'm just not sure where we will go from here. We were supposed to go XC schooling the next day and all I can think is thank god he crashed at a fence that will give/break rather than having that happen out on XC where the results could have been much more disastrous.

I apparently told my friend I needed to get back on Loki right after the fall and I checked him over about a hundred times as well as got him untacked and all my stuff put up with out any recollection of doing so. I guess that stuff is just so ingrained that I can literally do it in my sleep! The good news is Loki doesn't seem to have a scratch on him from the accident.

So that is my news. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll figure out what to do next. This is by far the most serious riding related injury I have ever had so I'm a bit at a loss for what to do. Right now I'm just resting and taking it easy as we try to finish up the house. Loki will have some vacation time as well but I might have my trainer put a few training rides on him to make sure that this was just a fluke and not something that is going to become the norm for him. I'm  not sure what my plans will be if it turns out he isn't safe to jump after all. :(

21 comments:

  1. Yeeouch! Glad you're not even more dinged up, and hope you're feeling better ASAP (but don't rush back -- I like your brain and I want it fully healed!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling better each day and no worries I will be taking my time to get back.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that other than the injuries listed you are no worse for wear. Carlos did something similar with me last year and it was a trip, not that he wasn't safe to jump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it was just a trip. He had been going just perfect right up until then.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, that is a rough one. I bet Loki tripped :/ Poor you! I'm so glad injuries weren't more serious. Take care of yourself and take it easy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I will aside from a lingering headache I'm feeling quite a bit better.

      Delete
  4. OW! I'm glad you guy's didn't get seriously injured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Glad you are 'ok'!

    Hope the house stuff get working out quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We are getting there on the house. I can almost see the floor in some of the rooms, lol.

      Delete
    2. Do you need me to call TLC hoarders for you? :)

      Delete
    3. Haha! No, I don't think we are quite there. Things are coming along slowly but surely!

      Delete
  6. Oh, so sorry. You didn't say, but a visit to the doctor is definitely in order. TBI is serious business. It can take a while for your brain to get back to normal after a hard hit to your head. Don't be in a hurry to ride; take it easy and rest up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go to the ER and get checked out. Everything appeared okay, nothing broken, etc, but I do have a follow-up dr. appointment on Monday.

      Delete
    2. Whew .. glad to hear it. Better to go and get a "you're mostly okay" diagnosis, than to not go and wonder if you did any unseen damage. :0)

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness I'm so sorry!!! I'm glad to hear you are okay, though. What kind of stirrups where you using? I got my foot jammed up in my stirrup during my last stadium round at River Glen, and while I look perfectly calm in the video, all I could think was "OMG I NEED TO GET MY FOOT OUT I NEED TO GET MY FOOT OUT IF HE TRIPS I'M A GONNER!". I'm sorry to hear about all the injuries though but am glad to hear they aren't worse. I don't recall Loki being a leg hanger or anything, so hopefully this was just a fluke! Although definitely smart to have your trainer get on him and check him out.

    That is funny about you doing all of that stuff and not remembering it. Apparently after I got my concussion, (I don't remember the fall either, or much right after) when my mom got there I started telling her that Dino (my horse) was right over there in the woods (he wasn't lol) and that we needed to get him and unsaddle him etc. etc. Show's where our priorities are! :)

    (And side note, the south is having a huge EPM problem this season- maybe because of all of the rain and standing water? And sometimes the first sign is stuff like unidentified hind end weakness or knocking rails etc. when the horse didn't before, so if he continues to knock rails or not jump the same- before thinking he's just 'unsafe' might want to take a closer look and consider testing him for epm, too! My trainer's advance horse showed no real signs besides that he just started knocking rails right and left and crashed through a fence as well- which was VERY unlike him!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading about you and Wiz I have definitely considered the possibility of EPM or maybe something else just not being quite right. We went on a trail ride a couple of days before and while I wouldn't have said Loki was lame his paces were different. He was so much slower than he usually is especially at the walk. He normally strides out and walks very fast but that day he was definitely on the slow side. At the time I chalked it up to him just getting more relaxed on trails but now I do wonder.

      I haven't even made it back out to the barn yet. I will go tomorrow! Things have just been so much of a whirlwind right now. I know he is doing fine but I haven't been able to see for myself. I will re-evaluate him tomorrow and then go from there. I have a feeling some vet work is in order, though.

      I'm fairly sure these are my stirrups: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Reflex_Wide_Track_Stirrups_p/3134.htm I have to double check when I get back out to the barn but if not they are very similar. I bought them because I do get a lot of knee pain when I ride and I would say that these have helped in that respect but I have also heard a lot of criticism from the likes of Jim Wolford and George Morris that stirrups like these are not as safe and much more likely to get hung up on a rider's foot. For now I'm just going to go back to my old fashioned "normal" stirrups.

      Delete
    2. The blood test is about $30, and while it's not completely accurate, it can at least give you a heads-up as to whether he may be fighting off EPM or not. My vet gave me the tubes and let my trainer take the blood and me drop it off for testing so I didn't even have to pay for him to come out. Wiz had the same kind of signs, just sort of lethargic and moving his legs funny. Now that he's in the fifth day of treatment, he's definitely lame... My vet said they get worse before they get better because they shed off all the protozoa at once, sooo, I'm hoping he's right. If you catch it early enough before it gets neurological, you can use the Pathogenes Oragin which is 150$ and 10 days- much cheaper than the other stuff! I definitely went back through your blog though and looked at his old jumping pictures- I don't see why he'd be unsafe at all, definitely sounds like something might be up. And EPM is one of those diseases that RARELY gets diagnosed early enough because it's the last thing people think of until it's too late to really treat (or super expensive to treat), so I just wanted to mention it just in case!

      Ah, my old trainer actually had a facebook post about those stirrups!! I use these from stateline: http://www.statelinetack.com/item/jointed-stirrup-irons-pair/SLT733093/ for the same reason. So far I haven't had any issues (minus the one little issue show jumping, but I jammed my foot up there myself and was able to get it back out) and every time I get thrown off I get my feet out just fine and land on my feet, lol. BUT, what you said did make me cautious, so I might want to think about it. Thanks for sharing. (Although I just went through the reviews for the irons I use and a lot of people actually say the flex saved them from getting their foot stuck- so who knows!)

      Delete
    3. Right now I'm planning on talking to the vet when he/she comes out for some other horses, hopefully within the next week or so. The sad thing is I still don't know what vet I'm going to use for sure b/c my regular vet passed away last summer. But anyways, I plan on having the test done just to be sure. I did go to the barn today and lunged him and I have to say he certainly didn't look like anything was wrong but it is better to be safe than sorry.

      So I think the issue with the stirrups I have is that they are a composite material and they are very light weight. I held them today and compared them to the weight of my older stirrups and they are a bit lighter. I don't think them being wide is the problem. I plan on saving and getting some nicer stirrups eventually but for now it is just back to my old fashioned ones.

      Delete
    4. Definitely wise to have the vet just check him out :) Although it certainly could be a freak accident, best just to make sure! And good luck finding some nice stirrups that will work. I definitely feel that if the stirrups are too light, they'd be more likely to bounce up and kind of trap you... but that's just a theory in my head, not sure how it actually works!

      Delete
    5. That was kind of my theory as well (as far as too light stirrups). After my accident I'm definitely going with the safe over appearance/comfort formula.

      The vet is coming on Monday and I will ask her about the EPM test and have her check him over as well.

      Delete