Thursday, September 12, 2013

Plan Of Attack

I think one of the worst things is simply not knowing. I've been experiencing this whole "not knowing" thing for a few days now. I've actually talked to a total of three different vets as well as done a ton of research on my own about EPM and for quite a while it has all left me feeling... unsure. Seriously, if you do any kind of in-depth research on EPM the one thing you will learn the most is we still don't know a whole heck of a lot about this disease. It is one of those things that is not cut & dry. You can hear three different opinions about EPM if you talk to three different vets.

But, I have finally decided on a plan of attack. The two other vets I spoke to (who did not actually look at my horse but just talked on the basis of the information I gave them) both highly recommended a drug called Protazil. One vet heard what Loki's blood test results were and said, "yeah, maybe, possibly, it could be..." the other vet said, "oh yeah he's positive treat him yesterday." But they both agreed on how they would treat. I'm still waiting to hear back from my actual vet but assuming she agrees on the treatment this is the way we will go for now and treatment should start hopefully this weekend if not then Monday.

It's a 28 day treatment and I will be moving Loki to my sister's at the end of the month anyways. After the treatment I will have my other vet, the one who looked at Ghazal, (we'll call him Dr. J) evaluate Loki and see what he thinks. If he thinks he still needs to be treated we will go from there.

There is another treatment that is new and not yet FDA approved called Oroquin 10. If you follow Alchemy Eventing you have probably heard about it. The vet who is treating Loki now is not comfortable using it b/c of the lack of FDA approval. However, if after 28 days we feel like the EPM is still an issue I will ask Dr. J to look into this treatment.

So there you go. We have a plan. I even have a plan for paying which is a good thing to have. I'm feeling much better to be doing something. In the meantime we will just keep riding and training as always minus much jumping for now.

9 comments:

  1. A plan is the first way for me to start feeling better about a situation :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plans give the feeling of being in control which is great for me. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Best wishes to you. I hate that steady feeling of uncertainty clouding everything up. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not super familiar with EPM but it sounds like you are all over it .. keep your head up!! Loki is thankful for you mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I like to think so. I know at this point I wouldn't/couldn't trade him for any other. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you have a plan!! And I hope it works. Although WOW that is expensive.... I couldn't have tried anything other than what I used anyway. I literally don't have the financial resources in any way, shape, or form so I was really glad there was something inexpensive I could try, and even more glad it worked! (Er, kind of, my horse is CRA-ZY now... yesterday my trainer was laughing at me and was like 'at least he's feeling good!' and I was like 'but now I hate him!' and she joked about giving him EPM again. ha, he really does have 150x more energy...) But I really hope it works for Loki and quickly! I'm glad you found it early though, that's the most important thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the money is killing me. But, I can keep Loki at my sister's for half of what I am paying right now so that helps.

      I can't wait to be on the other side of this thing, although, I'm not sure I want Loki to feel THAT good, haha!

      Delete
    2. Yeah that is helpful :) You're lucky in that aspect!

      Delete