Thursday, September 26, 2013

Raining to Pouring


I'm not sure where to start with this post. So many little things keep happening but for several different reasons I just haven't had a chance to post anything lately.

I suppose first I will "come clean" and make a confession about my new job. I am actually working for Friends of Ferdinand. This is the OTTB after care group that keeps several of their horses at my barn. I haven't felt comfortable mentioning it yet because to be quite honest I didn't feel super qualified. Officially I am the new Executive Director which I have come to realize simply means I do whatever needs to be done. Mostly I've been organizing paperwork. We want to apply for accreditation from TAA (Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance) soon and that is taking a lot of preparation.

So anyways, that is one of the main reasons I've been so busy lately. Even though it is only part-time I work from home and I find myself spending many more hours at it than I would for a "normal" part-time job. And don't be surprised if you start hearing more about our program. :) Oh and if you are on facebook please give us a like here.

As far as Loki goes we are now on day 5 of a 28 day treatment. Loki loves his medicine which is awesome since it is a feed through. He eats it up like it is candy. I haven't noticed anything unusual since he's started the meds but I figure it is way too early to tell much of anything.

Last Wednesday I made a HUGE mistake and decided to pull Loki's shoes off. It had rained a bit and I thought "oh the ground is softening up we are slowing down why not." When I came back out that Friday my horse was so foot sore he could barely walk. I packed his hooves with Magic Cushion and then called the farrier. The farrier was coming back out on the following Wednesday (yesterday) anyways so he kindly agreed to put Loki's shoes back on.

You would think that would be the end of the story but no. As I was waiting for the farrier yesterday I noticed that Loki's knee had some swelling in it. It wasn't a lot and there was no heat so I thought maybe it was just from the way he was gimping around on his sore feet. I decided to keep an eye on it but that was it.

Blown up knee :(
I came back to the barn this morning and the knee had BLOWN UP! Crud! I gave him some bute and called my trainer. My trainer is pretty positive the swelling is from a cut from a Black Locust tree. Apparently they are poisonous and can cause some pretty intense swelling. My trainer had me get some Children's Benadryl and I put some in Loki's grain. He mostly ate it up so we'll see how his knee is later today.

Our move to my sister's has been postponed indefinitely. Some thing have come up on both ends. He may move the first of November or he may just stay where he is. This has been a rough year for our family as a whole. To me it all started with Sassy dying right before New Years and while there have been many positive things that have happened, such as moving home! there has been a lot of distressing things as well. So thoughts, prayers, etc would sure be appreciated right now. Thanks!


17 comments:

  1. Sending prayers your way!! Things will ease out soon. Just keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a neat career development! Here's hoping your other moving pieces settle into place ASAP and you can relax a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job, that sounds fabulous! I'm sorry ya'll are having a rough year and hope easier days are ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the job is definitely pretty cool. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You have most definitely had a bad year. :( Here's hoping for a better 2014

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the new job. I'll be sure to send prayers your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much going on. Best wishes to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for your family!!

    Hope Loki's knee feels better and the swelling goes down soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sound as though you have a ton on your plate. Rest assured that many, many people are sending those needed prayers your way. I always try to remember that the Divine always provides for us even though we might not see it right away. When we truly look for his guidance, the way is well marked and our needs are met. I hope you start to feel a sense of being looked after and supported. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes his knee is pretty crazy... it is true that if he cut himself or something, he could be overreacting to it because of the epm, since it messes with their immune system. But I really really hope he feels better soon! Too much craziness!

    ReplyDelete