Monday, October 7, 2013

Brrrr

It was seriously cold this morning! That is to say it was somewhere in the 40s. It struck me as I was grooming Loki that I'm woefully unprepared for winter. I'm looking forward to a lot of it but it has been a long long long time since I've had to go through a "real" winter.
Seriously, this is how I felt this morning. I may be in trouble this winter!
It makes me wonder, for those of you that experience "real winter" what do you find is your can't live without gear? Right now I have a very good winter coat and my Dubarry's that have winter inserts for warmth and that is about it. Yikes!! Loki is at least prepared with all his blankets but I do think I'd like to get him some kind of quarter sheet but at this point I don't think I'm going to clip him so it might not be necessary.

Speaking of Loki, I went to the barn today and his "hives" were still there, only now I'm not so sure they really are hives because they are shedding. It's sort of like blisters where the skin is already dead and just waiting to peel off. They are itchy and a little sore I think. I tried to ride hoping the saddle pad would be sufficient to keep them from hurting. He was fine at the walk but immediately let me know that trotting was not o.k. So I untacked and lunged him. He is definitely sound and seems to be feeling okay except for these hive/blister things. Where they have peeled the hair is gone but the skin underneath seems fine so I'm hoping that once he "sheds" them all we'll be back to normal. Seriously weird!


14 comments:

  1. We don't get bad winters in CA so I'm no help...

    Eek hope poor Loki's skin gets better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be wishing I was in CA by the end of this winter!!

      Delete
  2. Poor Loki! Hopefully they shed out fast and he feels better ASAP!

    As for winter wear, I would not survive without my Under Armour ColdGear. Not sure what it's called now, because I've literally had my shirt and pants for probably close to 10 years now, but they are slim enough to fit under my breeches and not add bulk, but keep me seriously warm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have some Under Armour layers on my wish list! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Layers up top, good winter breeches and socks down below. I also have insulated winter riding boots. SmartWool is my preference for layers and socks, and there are many kinds of winter breeches. My biggest trick though is optimizing warmth: I have super -30 barn boots and gloves that I wear until the last minute, and I keep my riding boots and gloves in a warm place. I don't change into them until I am ready to ride; I stay in the warm stuff as long as possible.

    The hives/blisters sound more like a weird version of rain rot than hives. Though hives can sometimes start to seep and the crust can resemble blisters - but they don't usually peel off entirely and leave bare skin.

    Good luck in the winter! Half of my horse-owning years have been spent in Vermont, and we had a stretch last winter where it didn't go above 0 at the barn for 72 hours straight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at the smartwool website. They have some pretty cool looking stuff. Hopefully I'll have a chance to try out some of it. Thanks for the tips!

      In two years we'll be living in upstate New York so I figure these next two winters are just our warm up sessions for the real deal!

      Delete
  4. Well get a good winter here in Ontario, the one item I can not live without is my Fuzzy bench sweater. I honestly have like, 5 of them and I wear them every single day. I buy them on eBay normally so they aren't too expensive.

    http://bench.ca/funnel-neck-zip-thru-total-eclipse

    Honestly the warmest sweater ever, plus they are super stylin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't ride much in MA which is the only bad winter I've ever experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I can ride some through the winter but we'll see. I may find myself wimping out on the riding. I remember riding quite a bit in the cold when I was younger. One of my favorite memories is trail riding through a light snow fall. For some reason the cold just didn't bother me as much when I was younger.

      Delete
  6. Yeah, I've never experienced a real winter lol. I hope Loki feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great things about winter... but for the most part I'd say you probably haven't missed much!

      Delete
  7. I bet you anything the hives are a weird reaction to the meds, as he's shedding off the EPM. as my vet says, "as we say, EPM does whatever it wants." I'm sure as he continues to heal they'll go away and he'll be fine again! I HATE WINTER, and I'm always unprepared, because I'm broke. But I have a ton of cheap zip-up fleeces, winter SGG gloves, and waterproof fleece lined winter riding boots that are my must-haves. If I had money, I'd get a real winter coat. And I want a fleece quarter sheet for Wiz too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try and enjoy winter as much as possible but I'm sure I'll be sick of it before the time is up. I'm not sure how much riding I'll actually get to do without an arena of any sort. Hopefully at least a few trail rides. I think a good pair of gloves are going to be the first thing on my list!

      Delete