Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 16

Today was Loki's 16th day on the EPM meds. We are more than halfway through the regimen. I would say it has been uneventful but the last two weeks have seemed very eventful. I'm just not sure how much if any of it has to do with his meds.
After our lunge line session. He certainly doesn't look any worse for wear!

Still no riding today. The blisters/hives that "peeled" yesterday are looking much better today. The ones that haven't peeled are still very tender. My trainer who just got back from her vacation looked at him and she thinks he must've gotten into a nest of some kind, maybe hornets or wasps. It makes sense with the placement of the sores. If so that means that Loki managed to cut his leg on a poisonous branch and get caught up in a nest of angry bugs of some kind all at the same time. This was all while he was foot sore from having to go a week without shoes. Sheesh! Poor boy had a bad day!!

He is still perfectly sound, though, and his feet seem to be feeling fine. I am really itching to ride him. I think he'll probably need at least another few days for these sores to heal but hopefully by next week we can finally be riding again.

I'm supposed to be moving him on the first of November to my sister's but I'm really thinking about postponing the move for just a little while longer. I want to be able to ride! But, we'll see.

Also today was my youngest daughter's birthday. Elaina Lucille was born on 10-09-08. Happy Birthday Laina Lu!

12 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Laina! What a cutie! :) I hope you get to ride soon. Loki's looking really good, though, other than the hives. I've seen super skinny horses after EPM, glad to see he seems to be coping with it so well!! I think I'd be less eager to move while he's having issues, then you can have some backup help and knowledge, but you know your horse the best! I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With horses it pours instead of rains when it comes to injuries. Hoping he continues to steadily mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We always say bad things come in threes so I'm hoping this was our three!

      Delete
  3. Glad Loki is feeling better an healing up :)

    Your daughter and I are bday twins!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it is fun that you share her b-day!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday Laina. I'm glad Loki is starting to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another Oct 9 bday, how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you going to get him re-tested after you finish treatment? I haven't done so with Wiz... (a) because it's expensive, and (b) maybe I don't really want to know... lol. I figure if he starts showing symptoms again, I'll get him tested. But maybe I'm a bad mom :( I'd just be interested to see how Loki tests after his treatment if you are going to! Have you noticed any difference in him at all since he started treatment?

    Keep us updated! Happy birthday Elaina- what a pretty name :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to get him re-tested. It is just too expensive. I haven't noticed any huge differences but with him being out of work for two weeks it makes it a little more difficult to tell. He is getting on the pudgy side, though!

      Delete