Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Guess Who's Back!

They look yucky but they are healing.
I am finally able to ride!!! WooHoo!!! I saddled up on Sunday for a test ride to see if Loki's back would tolerate a saddle. We only rode for about 20 minutes at mostly a walk and some trot but he didn't act sore at all. On Monday I rode again for a bit longer and this time I got some walk, trot and canter in. We're definitely rusty to say the least but he's sound and moving pretty good. I rode again yesterday. It was a few degrees colder and the wind was blowing decently and my normally not spooky horse found plenty of scary things in the arena. He gave me a real, honest to goodness spook at one point, springing forward and into the canter. Honestly, I just had to laugh at him. Silly horse, don't you know I grew up riding Arabs that spook at everything all the time! I'm hoping he was just feeling a little extra good.

He is done with his EPM meds. We will be returning to full work and just see how it goes. I'm not going to have him retested. #1 it is an expensive test and #2 there really isn't any need unless symptoms return. Since he was mostly asymptomatic to begin with this just means I'm going to have to be a little extra observant. But so far I'm pretty happy with how he is going. We will start jumping again here very soon!

My trainer and some others from my barn are going to a show this weekend. It's an all TB show with a little bit of everything including hunter classes, jumpers and some combined tests. I would so love to go!! Maybe someday we'll be ready again. I think I need to make a list of goals to work on over the rest of fall and through the winter. I really want to make it to an actual event next year! I have to say I'm super glad to be home but this has been kind of a crappy year. Here's hoping 2014 will be much better!

At least the stings were limited to his body. With the saddle on he mostly looks normal and I have to say gorgeous. :) And maybe someday I'll actually get some riding/action photos. Who knows?

8 comments:

  1. Yah! I'm glad Loki is better now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope 2014 is better for you too. Glad you can get back on at lesat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! Hope everything starts going better again! Loki IS gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know 2014 will be better for you! Tho 2013 brought you back to the states and that's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well at least you can just laugh :) He is a pretty boy, I hope to see you at an event next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear about Loki. There is still lots of time left in 2013 to finish the year on a really good note. Think about building some good momentum going into 2014. Then you'll have a REALLY great year. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been awarded the Sunshine Award. Check it out here:

    http://paolashorseblog.blogspot.com/2013/10/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete