Friday, October 25, 2013

Slowing Down

I had a FANTABULOUS ride today! I'm not sure what it was exactly but just one of those rides where everything feels just right.
Random photo from this summer. I really wish I had a photographer at the barn!
It has been ca-ca-ca-ca-cold these past couple of days, though. On Tuesday the hubs and I headed up to Quarter horse congress to do a little shopping. I got some generic carharts for working around the barn when it gets really cold as well as some real winter riding gloves and a vest. The trade show at congress is pretty good but it is definitely more geared towards the western rider so there weren't too many things to tempt me.  (Well, except the thousands of trailers you can walk through!)

Today's ride was the first of the week unfortunately but at least it was a good one. We mainly just worked on transitions, transitions, transitions. The up transitions are great the down transitions are okay mostly. Then I decided to take a note from all of you October two-pointers and do some work in two point. I realized we nearly never ever work on 2 point. I was exhausted quickly but still managed to get quite a bit in.

I had Loki just trot over two cross rails while I stayed in 2 point. It was really good for me, I think. I could imagine my trainer hollering at me that Loki was flat and I should sit up and kick him forward and all that kind of stuff but I just ignored that imaginary voice and kept working. I don't know if this is right or wrong or good or bad but I feel like I need to work on staying quiet over fences. Cross rails are so small that it really doesn't make a difference whether or not he gets a little flat as long as he goes over willingly. I was so pleased today because he maintained a constant rhythm and not one time did he grab the bit or pull on me! So, I guess for a while we are going to go back to some of our basics and solidify them. I'm still going to work on his canter and getting him more uphill but we can do that during our flat work. For jumping my goal is to just stay as quiet as I can so that he can learn to trust me. Whenever I start thinking about him being flat or rushing or anything else before a jump I just start pick, pick, picking and I think it has led to him being overly defensive. Today was just fun. he was able to go over each jump without any nuisance from me at all. I don't know I just feel like that is what he and I need right now.

Once again I apologize for not updating regularly. I swear I don't know how some of you guys do it! I was reading one of Lauren's posts over on She Moved to Texas and holy crap! she reads like over 300 blogs!!! as well as maintaining a pretty awesome blog herself. I think some of y'all must have some super powers or something. ;)

Also, I was awarded The Sunshine Award from American Girl and I just wanted to say thanks. I can't read 300 some blogs but I really enjoy the ones I am able to read. Who knew blogging could be so cathartic? It's like having a diary that can talk back and commiserate with you. So thanks all of you who read and write! I will work on the Sunshine post as soon as I can.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like someone beat me to it! I also nominated you for the Sunshine Award. :0) http://www.bakersfielddressage.com/1/post/2013/10/sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have that kind of time either haha, especially during school! I'm a sporadic keeper-upper. Glad to hear you and Loki are having some good moments! Wiz and I are just kind of chilling this month too, working on the basics and not stressing anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work in a desk all day and am generally an un-cool person who writes blog posts while watching bad tv shows on hulu at night before I go to bed :-D

    ReplyDelete