Monday, October 28, 2013

Sunshine Award

The Sunshine Award is for people who "positively and creatively inspire others in the blogosphere." The nominee must do the following: thank the person who nominated her, nominate ten bloggers of her own, answer the ten questions given to her, and post them and the Sunshine Award button to her blog.

Thanks American Girl for nominating me as well as Bakersfield Dressage
Here are the questions: 

  1. Mares or Geldings?: I have really come to dislike this question b/c it often seems to turn in to a debate on which is better. I think mares and geldings can be different and also quite the same and it really depends on the individual horse. That said I've always owned geldings and I've done really well with them. My first horse was/is a gelding and he had/has a huge sense of humor and I love that quality about him. (Could a mare have that quality? I haven't personally met one but I'm sure it is possible. Just as a gelding can try his heart out for you - the argument I hear most for mares. Again it just depends on the individual. Some qualities may lean more towards one sex or the other but that doesn't mean they've cornered the market on said quality!) Ghazal never seems to take life too seriously and he's never held a grudge when I made mistakes. He has always felt like my friend and not just my partner or pet.
  2. English or Western?: I have always ridden english and I prefer these disciplines but there are several western disciplines that I think I would enjoy. (Just not western pleasure!)
  3. Do you prefer younger or older horses?: I've had Ghazal since he was a 2 year old and he is now getting ready to turn 25. I think the best age for us was right around 10 years old. He was still very playful and "fun" but had matured into quite a trustworthy beast.
  4. Have you trained a horse from ground zero?: Yep, for the first many years of Ghazal's life I was the only person who had ever ridden him or done anything with him other than lead. I had no idea what I was doing but he turned out to be a pretty nice, all-around guy.
  5. Do you prefer riding or groundwork?: I have come to appreciate ground work very much. It lays the foundation for everything else but for the simple pleasure of doing I would always prefer to ride.
  6. Do you board your horse or keep it at home?: Board. Someday I would love to be able to keep my boys at home but that probably won't happen for many more years.
  7. Do you use all natural products or commercial?: I'm not sure I understand this question. I use products I buy from stores, the vet, etc, so I would say whether they are "all natural" or not they are still commercialized. I don't think I've ever made my own product from scratch.
  8. All tacked up or bareback?: Bareback was fun on Ghazal because he had a nice wide back, not so much on Loki with his high, sharp withers. As I've gotten older I definitely prefer the security of tack.
  9. Equestrian model?: I really don't know. I have always enjoyed watching and listening and reading anything from George Morris but I also really enjoy Jimmy Wooford and Denny Emmerson. My trainer from Washington is also a huge role model for me and if I could ride even half as well as she does someday I would be very happy.
  10. What's your one main goal while being in the horse world?: To be a better horseman and rider every single day. To never stop learning. 

This award has already been making the rounds in blogosphere so many of the people I will nominate have likely already been nominated. But here they are:

The Longest Format
Confessions of an AA Event Rider and Convicted Over Thinker
Cash's Steppin' Up
Fly On Over
Pampered Ponies
Viva Carlos
All In
Sprinkler Bandits
She Moved to Texas
Alchemy Eventing

11 comments:

  1. Loved reading your answers!! Thanks for nominating me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for nominating me too... I will do the same! Love your answers, particularly Mare vs Geldings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Your blog has been very inspiring to me. :)

      Delete
  3. I had to quote your answer to 10. on my own answers- that really is the best goal :) although most of my answers were quite similar, lol. you write yours out very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to meet you! I followed the link from Karens Dressage Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, welcome and nice to meet you as well! :)

      Delete
  5. Belatedly catching up now, thanks so much for nominating my blog!
    You've given me the warm fuzzies that someone likes the drivel I post!

    ReplyDelete