Friday, November 22, 2013

Finally a Photographer!

I had a lesson yesterday and for once my husband was able to come out and take some photos. Okay not just some photos but over 1,000 pictures. Seriously! In times past I think I have been a little overly critical of my husband's equine photography skills. His motto now is if he snaps everything surely at least a few will turn out okay. What I've tried to explain time and time again is that it hasn't been his photography that has left me disappointed but rather myself and my position. I'm sure most of you know how that is.

After going through all 1,000+ photos there were very many that turned out great. There are still several that make me cringe but again it isn't b/c of Jay's skills as a photographer but rather the mistakes I can so clearly see in my riding. I have to say, though, I have come a long way.

Since there are so many photos I figured I will post my favorites over the course of a few days. Today I'll just start with the pre-riding photos.

This is one of my favorites. Jay said it is so nice that you've learned to smile. The thing is I always smile with my horses. I can't help it!
Any treats in your helmet, Mom?
Still lookin' for some cookies.
I put the flash on his bridle thinking that it would look better than having the flash attachment thingamajig on the bridle without it. But, I took it back off before I rode. I really dislike that thing. Loki does evade by opening his mouth sometimes and it is something I need to look into and figure out but I don't want to just avoid the issue by buckling his mouth shut. He doesn't do it all the time and actually it is when he is really on the aids that he doesn't do it so I am hoping that this will simply improve as we each figure out our jobs. Hopefully my hands will get lighter and Loki will get more accepting. Oh, and I know I could just cut off the flash attachment but that feels so wrong to me! It took over a year for my trainer to convince me to cut my leathers shorter so they weren't dangling so long. I'm weird, I know. 

And a little then and now comparison:
I'm 90% sure this is from our very first ride together before I even owned him.
He's definitely done some filling out especially in his neck and hindquarters. It's kind of funny to me how it makes his legs seem shorter.


14 comments:

  1. My favorite is number 4. So bright and happy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah love the pictures and the close up of you and Loki is so cute!! Love the smile and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Our relationship is really solidifying. Love that guy! (and the photographer too!)

      Delete
  3. I love the pre-riding photos! He has definitely gotten MUCH fatter, in a good way!! And I agree about the flash, but the other day I buckled Wizard's tighter just to see what would happen, and honestly it helped... relax him! After he realized he couldn't open and evade, he just kind of relaxed and went into it. I mean, I made sure I could still squeeze two fingers underneath it, but before I had it on more for show than anything- he could open his mouth really wide. But now I'm torn on what to do! It seems tightening it actually did help him relax, but then I'm worried about using incorrect methods- AHHH! So complicated!

    But really, you two look so good together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the bottom line is Wiz is your horse and you have to do what you feel is best for him. Maybe you should try getting video of you and him with and without the flash. Sometimes you can get a better idea from watching than just from what you feel while riding. Or at least be sure to ride without it from time to time to check if you really need it. Maybe it is a learning thing for him. I do my best not to judge other riders and I've used a flash and could be convinced to use it again under the right circumstances. I just don't like to, personally if I can help it. But as long as you can get two fingers in between the strap I won't complain. :)

      Loki has definitely fattened up and a lot of it is muscle but there is actually, maybe, a little extra fat in there too which considering the trouble I've had keeping weight on him before is kind of refreshing thing.

      And thanks Loki and I are really starting to grow together and it is such a wonderful feeling.

      Delete
  4. You two look amazing! I love the close ups too! You can really see the bond that you have with Loki! Keep 'em commin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! There will definitely be more pictures coming. After all I have over a thousand to choose from, lol.

      Delete
  5. I'm very late to the party...but couldn't continue carching up without stopping to say: FAB PHOTOS!!!

    ReplyDelete