Thursday, November 7, 2013

Gymnastics

I had a wonderful lesson today. The first one I've had in I'm not sure how long but certainly since before our fall and the EPM episode.

I really feel like Loki and I are making so much progress towards being a team. We aren't all the way there yet but everyday I feel us inching a little bit closer. I'm starting to understand a little bit better how he thinks about things so that I'm able to start anticipating how he might respond to certain situations. On top of that I can feel him beginning to trust me just a little bit more. The biggest clue is how he is NOT rushing at fences anymore. It's such an amazing feeling for us to be able to trot or canter up to a fence and just stay in a nice rhythm.

Today we did some flat work and then moved on to some gymnastics. Overall it went really well. Lori had me work on not doing anything, except add leg when needed, through the line. It took Loki a few times to figure out what to do with me not doing anything. This was definitely something we both needed.

I was still having a little bit of trouble hanging on the reins a bit so Lori had me ride through with the reins in one hand. Wow! What a difference a simple thing like that can make. It changed my entire balance and we ended on some great notes.

After I ride I usually let Loki free to graze. There isn't too much trouble he can get into and he is usually very good at just staying in the immediate area. Well now that most of the grass is going into hibernation I caught Loki twice stealing hay from the hay area.
You caught me!
Naughty boy!
Naughty boy doesn't care. This is the second time I caught him sneaking into the hay.
Okay fine I'll eat this grass

14 comments:

  1. haha too funny, glad you guys are on the up and up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that he's sneaking hay! I guess it's better than grass? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hay seems to be very, very good hay. It's an alfalfa mix and must have some sugar or something mixed in.

      Delete
  3. Yeah! Glad you are back in the tack. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo lesson!!

    Haha he found the gold mine of hay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were both quite happy just not for the same reasons, lol

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear he's doing better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. he is definitely feeling 100% these days

      Delete