Thursday, November 14, 2013

Not A Fluke and Let's Go Walking

Loki had two days off after our last lesson and light bulb moment. It wasn't intentionally planned that way it just worked out. Tuesday the vet came out to give flu/rhino and tetanus shots and on Wednesday I had a doctor's appointment and did some volunteering at my daughter's school.

I was a little anxious to see how the ride would go after having such a great ride before. Would the light bulb stick or was it just a fluke. Well, it turns out it was NOT a fluke. In fact I would say Loki was even better.

When I put my leg on the response I got was not rushing forward and hollowing but a horse who actually reached for the bit. In the past it has often felt as though I'm holding a ton of bricks when trying to get Loki to accept the contact but today it felt incredibly light, maybe not feather light but considerably lighter than times past. I know there is still tons of room for improvement but I was so happy to know that, by jove, I think he's got it!

However, we had almost 0 bend to the right. That is always his stiff side but it was much worse today. The whole ride I thought he must be sore from our ride before so I tried to ask him to stretch as much as possible without over doing it. I stopped to talk to my trainer when we were done and mentioned it to her and she reminded me he got his shots two days ago. Bad Mom moment! I should have realized he might be sore from his shots. But, at least I know it should just be a temporary thing. 

And as a quick side note my hubby made a "walking desk" for me out of our treadmill. I spend so much time on my computer now that I'm working part-time from home. It may seem silly but it works great and now I can stay active and get my work done at the same time!

8 comments:

  1. I love your little treadmill desk. ;) Seems like you and Loki are getting back in the groove!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Loki and Amanda!!

    Omg I need a walking desk!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The walking desk is fabulous! I wasn't sure if I would be able to coordinate typing and walking at the same time but here I am doing it right now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the walking desk!! Great idea. I'm going to start exercising again and the treadmills at the place I go have book holders- so a great time to do homework and such. Glad the lightbulb moment stuck! I laugh at all these people having heavy horses and wanting 'light' contact when I have the exact opposite problem! When Wiz starts putting weight in the bit I get excited haha.

    And I did the same thing last year... I could not bend wiz to the right no matter what and got so frustrated and then had my trainer look and him and she was like 'idk maybe he fell in the field or something but his neck is just really tight, he really can't bend today' and then I remembered I gave him the shot in neck the day before- oops!!! oh well, we can't be perfect moms all of the time :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so convenient to be able to work and walk at the same time. I do much better when I can stay active. I probably would have done even better in school if I could have walked on a treadmill during class.

      It's funny that Wiz and Loki are opposite in that way but the answer for both of them is still the same; MORE LEG! lol

      Delete
  5. I also get excited when Varro reached into the bit! He is getting much better but still tends to pop his head straight up in the air like a giraffe! LOVE the treadmill desk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a small victory worth celebrating each time it happens!

      Delete