Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Animal People VS People Who Like Animals

In less than a month it will be one year since my Sassy "crossed the rainbow bridge" as they say.
I still miss her and think about her nearly every day. For the longest time I couldn't even contemplate wanting another dog which was a good thing since we were stuck in Japan. 

Well lately I've found myself yearning, not for a replacement, but for another dog to make new paw prints on my heart and maybe at least fill some of the hole that Sassy left. I even found a puppy, another blue merle sheltie. I got very excited by the idea and even had two names picked out. I was already halfway in love in true animal person fashion. Then last night we got word from our landlord that we could not add a dog to our lease agreement.

Well, I didn't take it so well. It felt like losing Sassy all over again, to be honest, which brought up so much emotion. Sassy died while I was away. I still question whether or not if I had risked bringing her with us maybe she would have lived longer. At the very least she wouldn't have felt lost and abandoned. I know she was with my parents and still cared for but that just wasn't the same for her or me. 

As I laid awake last night I kept thinking about the difference between "animal people" and people who simply like animals. People who like animals are the ones who maybe at this very moment are at a puppy store contemplating a new puppy for Christmas. Often they have no idea what they are getting themselves into but puppies are just so cute, how hard could it be. And while some of these people may turn into "animal people" they are just as likely, in a few months, to figure out that that cute little puppy requires a whole lot of work and will start posting "free to a good home" ads on craigslist or simply dump puppy at their local humane society or get a dog house and leave the puppy outside by itself 23 hours a day.

I still miss you everyday Sassy
I really, really dislike these people. They will have a cat and then decide there is no room when they get pregnant. They will decide it is much too hard to move out of state with a dog when they can just dump it. Granted there are truly legitimate times when people must part with an animal. Maybe a child develops a severe allergy or maybe there is a loss of employment that makes finances impossible but we all know that 99% of the time their excuses are bs. These people will never understand how much I agonize over the decision to leave Sassy back in the states when we left for Japan. They will never understand that to an animal person our animals are a part of our family whose needs are just as important as any member.

I have much more respect for people who simply don't like animals for whatever reason. Maybe they are allergic or afraid but whatever the reason they are honest even with themselves. They don't dump animals because they don't take them in in the first place. 

Thanks for listening to my rant if you stuck it out this far. I promise to get back to horses and continue the five day challenge tomorrow.


19 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Sassy :(
    I totally agree with you an animal people vs people who love animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a person currently owned by four discarded cats, three dogs, two bearded dragons and a horse (all of our animals are rescues - one of which was found inside a dumpster at two weeks old) I am fully aware of the lifetime commitment an animal owner has to make to their charges. Our animals will be with us until we walk them across the Bridge, like we have done with the animals we have already lost.

    I don't know that it's a matter of animal people vs people who think they like animals, or if it is that our society has taught us that everything is disposable or replaceable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that plays a large part of it. After all now we are hearing stories of a couple who adopted an infant and want to "give him back" after 9 years! I guess this shouldn't really be that shocking to anyone who has worked around or with animal rescues but I still find it to be so.

      I can't say all of my animals have been rescues but I've loved each and every one of them and just can't wrap my mind around the concept of throwing another being away.

      Delete
  3. My animals are my life. I would sacrifice anything for them. When I was in Japan for 9 months without my dogs I became incredibly depressed and worried about them constantly. To be honest, my animals are what kept me from moving to Japan after graduation. I wasn't going to leave them and the trip would be too hard on them - especially my 9 year old dachshund who is incredibly shy.

    I have the hardest time explaining this type of attachment to people - especially potential boyfriends. My animals come first and a lot of people don't like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I don't share how much I still miss Sassy with many people because most of them will look at me like I'm nuts.

      Delete
  4. So much love to you and yours.

    It's been six weeks since we lost my old dog. I keep thinking I'm doing okay and then suddenly there I am crying the whole drive home for no apparent reason at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and to you as well. It's so hard when we lose them.

      Delete
  5. I don't have a dog right now precisely because I understand the commitment - and can't make it due to my schedule and finances. It breaks my heart.

    Animal people are like my boyfriend's sister-in-law, a genuinely terrible human being by any measure, who once told me that if wouldn't matter so much if I missed an emergency call from the barn, because I could always just let my horse die. Of all the despicable things she has said and done over the years, that one has really stuck with me. There are people out there who would shrug things like that off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my husband's friends told me that it was good I got an older horse because then he would just die and wouldn't distract me from having kids. WTF? It wasn't like I asked for an opinion.

      I hear you on this, though. Animals are a big commitment and I respect people who don't want to take that on.

      Delete
  6. Some of those "people who like animals" also do not get the requisite treatments or training for their pets and wonder why their pets are causing such a ruckus in their lives. Big hugs from me on this anniversary, I know everyday goes by with her on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true there is a lack of education out there especially for people who just buy on a whim.

      Thank you, I know you understand.

      Delete
  7. Every Christmas, instead of getting her students gifts, my trainer makes a donation in the farm name to a local animal shelter -- which I love more than any gift she could ever get me.

    It's hard for me to even understand people who just give up an animal... that thought has never, ever crossed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea of your trainers!

      Delete
  8. Really sorry that you can't get a dog right now :( I also dislike "people who like animals" and get very bothered by those who treat them as disposable accessories or objects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I know I will get one in a couple of years when we leave here it's just tough to never have our "own" place where I don't have to go by someone else's decisions.

      Delete