Monday, December 30, 2013

Bye Bye '13

Where has the time gone? Ever since we've been back in the states it seems like time has just flown by on super sonic speed.

In January I was on the other side of the world teaching riding lessons at a little barn in Japan and going on beach rides along the Pacific Ocean.
I also went with my son's 2nd grade class to a Japanese Circus. It was fun but I was already counting the days until we left for the states. (Who am I kidding, I was counting the days the day we arrived in Japan!)
There was very little going on in February, horse wise. Both Ghazal and Loki's birthdays are in February so I pseudo-celebrated from afar.
Ghazal turned 24 and I've had him since he was 2. He truly made me into the rider that I am today for better or worse.

In March I helped the other instructors at our little barn in Japan to get ready for our Spring show.
Unfortunately right after that things went downhill with the barn and I ended up leaving on not the best of terms. I missed my students and the gals I worked with but not much else.

By April things were starting to move a little bit faster. The clock was ticking and we were really getting close to departure.

A stray cat had kittens on our back porch. I almost stepped on one before I saw them. Luckily a friend of mine helped out and all the kittens and the momma cat were rescued. I love happy endings!
I also subscribed to FEI TV and stayed up all night to watch Rolex. That was actually a lot of fun.
In May Loki went to his very first horse trial with my trainer. He finished on his dressage score and a few time penalties for 8th place out of 13. I was really excited to come home and get riding.
June was of course THE MONTH! We finally left Okinawa. My friends from the barn got me this very beautiful bracelet that I wear practically every day.
I got back to the states on the 7th and out to the barn on the 8th to finally see my boy.
As soon as we get home time starts flying but I don't even realize it. I do a couple of schooling shows. We go XC schooling for the first time since the previous summer and things don't go quite the way I'd hope as we experience some breaking issues.

But, we bounce back by the end of the month and go to our first combined test and get a fourth place, finishing on our dressage score.
I'm not sure what all happened to July as far as riding goes. Jay and I went to a wedding at West Point. I get to check out the area for potential barns as we'll be moving there in two summers.
Mid-August brought my utter defeat by the ground after Loki tripped while we were jumping. Post here. I have a concussion and am banned from riding for at least 10 days. My shoulder is still messed up from the fall but it really could have been worse. To try and make up for it I did get to go to a Mumford & Sons concert which was totally awesome!
September was the month of the VET!
First Ghazal was 3 legged lame, which luckily turned out to just be a nasty abscess.

Then Loki was diagnosed with EPM. Luckily he was mostly a-symptomatic but treatment was not cheap! Since that was apparently not enough Loki also decided to have a run-in with first a black locust tree resulting in a huge knee:
And then just to get that trifecta in he decided to antagonize some bees or wasps or something that stings:
We do lots of hand walking and ground work which has the positive effect of leading to some better ground manners. Loki also got to admire himself in the mirror which he really seems to enjoy.
Finally by mid-October I was able to start riding again. Nothing much exciting happening, though. just some easy rides. At some point I also mentioned that I've started working for an OTTB rescue group, Friends of Ferdinand and I am busy helping prepare for a booth we put together for the Indiana Derby.
Finally, in November I start to get my riding groove back and I can actually afford a couple of lessons.
I feel like Loki and I are finally making some progress!

And now here we are ready to say goodbye to December. This month the cold weather definitely set in and I haven't ridden nearly as much this month as I would have liked/hoped but on the plus side I am really enjoying time with my family. I got some wonderful Christmas gifts, my horse is happy and healthy and I am really looking forward to 2014!

The year didn't quite go the way I hoped as far as competing goes but looking back on it I realize we really weren't ready anyways. By the time spring competition season rolls around we'll have so much more time together and I really think we will finally get to enjoy a couple of shows together. I think I complained a few too many times this past year which I apologize for. I really have nothing to complain about. I am very blessed in many ways. Happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. What a busy year for both of you. Cheers to 2014!

    Also, love the mirror picture! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a year, still. :-) Excited for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had quite the year!! I hope next year is a little less crazy and you get a lot of riding and showing in :)

    ReplyDelete