Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hello '14 (goals post)

Well it is New Years Eve and what am I doing? Sitting at home getting ready to go to bed in an hour or so. I have to admit New Years has always been my least favorite holiday. I've just never been a real party person and most of the time I am uncomfortable in any kind of real crowds so most New Years festivities are just not all that appealing to me.

So instead I'm going to try and write down what goals I would like to try and work on and maybe even a few to accomplish in the year 2014.

Personal:
  1. Learn how to play the piano. This should really say re-learn or get better at... I took piano lessons as a kid but because my Mom worked third shift it was very hard to practice consistently add to that the fact that I wasn't truly interested and therefor a little lazy about practicing and I didn't get very far. Recently a friend gave us a piano and I've been enjoying playing again. My goal is to practice at least a half hour a day, five days a week. Why not?
  2. Create and stick to a budget. We used to be really good at this but with the addition of more income and three new mouths to feed and budget keeping has been spotty at best. This is something that must happen before things truly get out of control. 
  3. Find a new exercise program that works for me. While in Japan I did a lot of running. When I couldn't run I lifted weights and/or jumped rope. I don't like running in the cold, my treadmill only works at walking speed and since I hurt my shoulder I've been very limited in weights and jump rope is a killer. So I need to find something else. Jay and I are talking about trying out the local gym and actually doing some swimming for something new. I'm not sure how my shoulder will fare. I might have to swim a little oddly but at least it is a low-impact but highly efficient way to exercise. If we do this it might mean a change in hairstyles for me. Chlorine plus washing/drying my hair five days a week will not work. I'm sort of itching to try something new anyways so we'll see. 
  4. Insert some cliche goal about figuring out what I want to do when I grow up. No, seriously, after being a stay at home Mom for the past nine years I am finally at a point in my life when I actually have the time to do other stuff. Unfortunately having a teaching degree, an expired teaching license from another state and being completely uninterested in teaching again and I'm just not sure what I want to do not to mention that whatever I figure out to do needs to be very transportable as staying in the same place for any length of time is not in my near future. I'm doing the part-time thing with FFI for now. Some of it I really love and some of it is definitely a square hole and a round peg. This really shouldn't be that hard but I'm finding it extremely challenging. 
Loki

  1. Get Loki more accepting to the bridle and less fussy. This will require me to be less handsy. Maybe play around with some new bits. 
  2. Get those downward transitions working for us. Keeping Loki in front of my leg the entire transition. 
  3. Adjustability at the canter. This is a big one for us as it is so important both for our flatwork and for the jumping. 
  4. Start the year out at Beginner Novice and hopefully finish the show season at Novice. My goal is to do at least four events this summer. More would be great but they are pretty expensive so I'm trying to be realistic. At the moment I am planning on/hoping for Greater Dayton, Champagne Run, Flying Cross and Jump Start as well as a few combined tests/schooling shows.
Ghazal

  1. My goal for Ghazal is to see him a minimum of once a week, two or three times would be great but I didn't hardly see him at all last summer and that needs to change. 
  2. Figure out a solution for his sweet itch. 


And of course I want all those things you are supposed to want especially at this time a year. To be a better Mom and wife and person in general. To be more loving and accepting and less judging and harsh.  To live my life as an example of God's great love and to be humble and content.

So anyways, Happy New Year!!



17 comments:

  1. Great goals! I love to run AND swim! (I swam on several teams as a kid) Here is a pointer to help with your hair: use Olive Oil. Massage it into the ends of your hair, put it in a braid then shove it all under your swim cap. (2 or 3 times per week if swimming everyday) When you are done swimming, wash and dry as usual...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I'll let you know if I get a chance to use it or not.

      Delete
  2. Your goals sound very well-rounded and most importantly, DOABLE! :0)

    For the budgeting thing, I am the QUEEN of maintaining and sticking to a budget, I have a few suggestions. Since you are clearly computer savvy, do your budget on the computer. I have used Quicken for 20 years and LOVE it. That's how I generate those reports for my "Horses are Expensive" series. If you just want to try out that style of budgeting, I think Mint.com is still free. I used it for a very short time, but since Quicken has more features, I switched back. The only reason I switched to Mint.com was because my old, old Dell finally tanked and I didn't want to buy Quicken for my Mac. I finally caved and bought it, and while it's not as good as Quicken for PC, it's still the way to go for me.

    As far as your piano and workout goals, you're on your own as I have no tips; I struggle with those things, too. :0)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We got mint to try and we'll see how that goes. Here's to being fiscally responsible!!

      Delete
  3. Love BD's budgeting suggestion I don't use MINT but I have something similar through my bank. :) Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jumping on board with the budgeting! Ugh! Cheers to 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate new years too, not my style. Great goals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New years is definitely not my favorite either. Great goals! I love swimming, should be good for your shoulder as there are different strokes you can do as well as water aerobics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am hoping I'll be able to find a stroke that will work.

      Delete
  7. Aw, none of your shows are on my list :( Champagne Run is SOOOO expensive! It's 400$ just for the entry fee... eek. I just don't see the point when I can pay 270$ for May Days at the same facility... :| But everyone seems to love Champagne Run. Maybe they give better prizes? I don't know.

    Anyway, I hope you accomplish all of your goals, and I hope I get to see you and Loki out at an event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Champagne Run is expensive but for some reason it is one that my trainer generally goes to and right now I'm pretty much stuck going wherever she goes. We could end up at May Days though which would be awesome!

      Either way I hope I get to see you and Wiz at some point next summer.

      Delete
    2. May Days is my favorite and I didn't get to make it back last year! It's pretty cheap but a ton of people, good courses etc. (I also won it soooo I'm kind of partial to it haha).

      But I get the "stuck where someone will take me" problem ;) I am planning to talk to my trainer next time I see her and figure that out- because I also can only go where she can take me! And while she goes to quite a few shows, she only has a 4 horse so it still depends whether she's already promised out all of her room or not. Either way, they always go to champagne run so maybe I can at least come up and watch and play groom for everyone :)

      Delete
  8. I too have struggled to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Being sahm for 10 years leaves you a bit out of place in entering the work force and then find something conducive to still being a good mother and not pay complete crap. I finally decided to go to a therapeutic massage school starting next fall. The school I am going to offers an equine massage continuing education course which I will do. I hope to get to GDHT it is the closest event to me yet I have never been. It comes so early in the year that with no indoor it is tough for us to be ready for recognized. Maybe this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! entering the work force after so many years out of it is really challenging! I've never really been much of a career minded person I just want something I can enjoy and make a little money at the same time.

      GDHT is definitely very early in the season. We have the benefit of being close enough to school there fairly regularly so it never seems much of a problem for us. The courses are pretty friendly so even if you go out slow for the experience it might be worth it. It would be so much fun to see you and Steady compete!

      Delete