Monday, December 9, 2013

Safety First

This post isn't going to be as articulate as I originally had planned but it's been a busy day of doctor's appointments and some Christmas shopping and I still feel a little laggy from this past weekend. But, I did change the theme/style of the blog to give it a more snowy feel, reflection of the season. Hope you enjoy!

So my big purchase at the USEA convention turned out to be a new XC safety vest. This wasn't even on my radar of things I needed or wanted but #1 the owner/designer of the vest is a very persuasive sales lady. #2 The vest really does seem to be a new innovation in design and safety. #3 The vest is customized to fit a woman's body and comes in different cup sizes. As well these vests can be cut down where needed to fit an individual perfectly. The owner was able to cut mine down and customize it to me right there at the convention. Not only that, but she showed my husband how to do it as well so that if it turns out to be not quite right when I start using it he can make small changes to it for me. Not, that I expect him to have to do this but still it's pretty cool.

Anyways it is about as comfortable as any other vest I've tried on with the exception of the old Tipperary vests which we all know aren't really that safe. It is really different. It is a hard shell that basically doesn't move or bend at all. It hugs you in the right places while still giving you complete freedom of movement. And supposedly this vest will have a much longer shelf life than other body protectors even if I manage to have a wreck in it. (yikes! Something we don't necessarily want to think about but still need to be prepared for.) The name of the company is Kanteq and the vest is the Kan body protector. I first heard about this vest when I read about it on Flying Solo.  if you want more details about the vest and the difference between body protectors and air vests you can look here.

I will say that it is really pricey. In some ways I have a little bit of buyer's remorse. Not because it isn't a great vest or money well spent it's just when I think about all the other things I could have purchased instead I kind of cringe. But in the end safety should have priority and my husband was very supportive of the purchase.

Anyways, without further ramblings here is my new vest:

My kids wanted to help me model.
Silly children!

10 comments:

  1. Somebody I know locally just got one of these vests...they do sound interesting/look pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't know for sure until I get a chance to actually school in it but I think it will be great.

      Delete
  2. Sweet you look like Robocop! (which looking kinda like a robot is a big compliment in my world!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! A very short robocop! Speaking of, I saw the previews for the reboot and it looks pretty cool!

      Delete
  3. haha it looks great on you! I got a rodney powell that is pretty similar, but it heats up to your body and molds to your shape. So while it feels weird when you first put it on, 20 minutes later you completely forget you are wearing it! and I love how you say that "we all know" the old tipperary's aren't that safe. Every person I ever tried to say that around who wore a tipperary immediately went to their defense. I know they are comfortable, but yeah, like you said, they don't really do much... but people love to convince themselves otherwise to keep in comfort!!

    I like your vest though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know I hear the arguments about the Tipperary all the time but seriously when you feel it compared to other vests you have to be doing some serious lying to yourself to think it compares!

      My old vest was an RP as well and I really like(d) it. The trouble is they don't make them anymore and I did some damage to my shoulder with my last fall that is still bothering me so I wanted to get some shoulder guards for a little more protection. (Not that they would've helped with my last fall since I wasn't wearing a vest anyways!)

      Delete
  4. Love the vest! Love that your kiddos are modeling too lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha! they do love to get their picture taken. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. It looks really cool though! Purchases like that are almost always worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Well, when my husband said to go for it that did ease my mind a bit. I do have him and three kids to come home to after all, not to even mention the furry family members.

      Delete