Sunday, December 1, 2013

The 5 Day Challenge - Day 2

6. Favorite equestrian book and movie

This is a really difficult question. I guess I would have to go with one of the Black Stallion books. I've read all of them and I'm not really sure which one was my favorite. I think perhaps the Black Stallion Revolts left the longest impression but I also really enjoyed the Island Stallion.  And I loved books by Will James. Smokey the Cow Horse and The Dark Horse being amongst my favorites. (I guess I am officially old!) As far as movies go... That's another tough one. I really loved the Black Stallion Returns when I was younger. I can't say that I have seen too many "horse" movies as an adult. I did enjoy Hidalgo because I am very good at suspending my disbelief and just enjoying make-believe.

  7. Most common riding misconception

Is this my most common riding misconception or what I believe to be the most common misconception? I'm going to go with riding is easy or "the horse does all the work." We all know this isn't true and yet I still hear it from time to time. If we're going for my biggest riding misconception then I would have to say I always think I am a lot more still in the saddle than I actually am when I look at photos or videos. Something to work on for sure.

8. Two riding strengths and one riding weakness

It's funny how difficult it is to list my strengths. It is much easier to pick at my weaknesses. I guess I need to work on that too! Let's see I guess one strength would be my natural athleticism. I will admit that comes fairly easily for me. Fitness and strength, balance and endurance have always been readily achievable. That's not saying I don't work for them. I spend my time in the gym, running or lifting weights but I don't ever feel like I have to "kill myself" to get there. Another strength would be my love for riding. Honestly, it is a huge strength probably for all of us. Could you imagine working as hard as we do if we didn't just absolutely love it?

I think my biggest weakness is my lack of confidence. This has really improved lately but it is still what gets me in trouble. There are things I know I can do but if I don't approach them with confidence I will get myself in trouble every time. Just see my earlier post about my jump lesson for proof!
Not Confident
 VS
Confident!

9. Least favorite thing about horses or riding

I think we can all agree that the expense is the most difficult part of anything equine. And it isn't just monetary expense but time and resources. I often feel quite guilty for the money and time I spend on my horse habit. It doesn't come free it comes at the expense of money and time with my family. Sometimes it is hard to find a good balance between the two. 

10. What do you feed your horse 

In the a.m. Loki gets a full can (coffee can) of Kalm Ultra by Tribute feeds along with Glanzen and Tractgard. He gets roughly two to three flakes of hay. The hay is usually a grass and/or alfalfa mix. 
In the p.m. Loki gets another full can of Kalm Ultra.

Right now Loki is still on night turn out (although that is about to change) and he has access to a very large pasture in the evenings. In another couple of weeks when he switches to day turn out he will start getting hay in the a.m. and p.m.

Sadly, I can't tell you exactly what Ghazal gets other than it is a senior feed, very lovely hay (that he can't really eat much) and when his weight starts to drop in the winter he gets beet pulp. I'm hoping to add some Glanzen Senior to his diet soon to see if it helps his coat and sweet itch in the spring.


5 comments:

  1. I love the Black Stallion and Smoky the Cow Horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black stallion books are great, and I agree that confidence can be so difficult at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always interests me how they cut flakes of hay different in different places. You would think it would be universal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lack a lot of confidence too. Slowly, but surely I am getting it back though!

    ReplyDelete