Thursday, January 30, 2014

Guilty

Let me start by saying that I saw Loki today and he looked fine. He was bright eyed and munching on his hay, between bouts of cribbing since someone forgot to put his cribbing strap on. His water bucket was almost empty which means he is drinking again as well and he had fresh manure in his stall. I definitely breathed a sigh of relief.

But, I am so, so mad at myself right now. I am pretty sure the main cause for this bout of upset tummy is my fault. I've had Loki's latest Smartpaks in the back of my car for about a week. I meant to drop them off at the barn last Monday or thereabouts but just forgot, completely forgot. I didn't even think about it until L mentioned that Loki hadn't drank much water yesterday which was very odd for him. Well, one of Loki's Smartpaks, Tractgard has electrolytes in it. So it makes sense that he wouldn't be drinking as much as normal if he suddenly stopped getting them. *Insert kick in the pants here*

I am thankful that this seems to have been a very mild case of upset tummy and L told me again that she was just being very proactive about it. With this weather she didn't want to take any chances and gave him the Banamine probably a little sooner than she would've if the weather had been normal.  I'm sure he's lost some if not all the weight he was finally starting to put back on but a skinny horse is better than the alternative right now.

And while I'm on the topic of this weather... BRUTAL, that is the word that comes to mind. I found out when I tried to refill Loki's water bucket today that absolutely every single pipe at the barn is frozen right now with the exception of one in one of the houses. So everyday they are filling buckets literally from the kitchen sink and then hauling them out to the barns. L said it takes them two hours, twice a day just to get water done right now. Ugh!! I can't imagine and this weather officially sucks!

Luckily the temps are going up for the next few days at least. I can only hope that we have seen the last of the seriously cold temps but I've heard rumors there is more coming. Either way I have to keep reminding myself that it can't last forever.

Admit it, this made you smile. :)

14 comments:

  1. Horses, man. They are so crazy-fragile -- how have they survived this long? Please don't beat yourself up; mistakes happen, and he's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I won't beat myself up too much, live and learn and all that plus he seems fine. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, truly, don't feel so guilty. Horses should be capable of drinking water without supplemented aid, y/y? It's more likely that he just had a mild upset tummy and didn't drink as much water. Perhaps the electrolytes contributed a bit to that - but really, stopping them should not have brought on a colic episode! They find ways to do stupid things all the time.

    (if you want to have a fallback, does he have a salt block? that can be a good constant goad to drink and doesn't necessarily depend on an administered supplement.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not feeling horribly guilty just a little annoyed at myself. But, Loki is definitely feeling better so all's well that ends well.

      He does have a salt block as well but I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced.

      Delete
  3. Glad Loki is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for him feeling better! Don't be too hard on yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel guilty, it happens. The important thing is that he's okay now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be so hard on yourself - glad he is feeling better now.
    Boo about the bucket filling though - poor BO & yard workers...Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yeah, the bucket filling is the worst!

      Delete
  7. Glad everything is ok, a change in diet is a very common cause of colic...luckily you didnt have to deal with anything too serious.

    Hang in there, spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete