Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hibernating

I'm sorry for disappearing on you all. I'm not sure what happened but somehow I got sideswiped a bit by the winter-time blues. I have no good reason to be feeling down but I've had the hardest time getting motivated to do much of anything lately. Of course part of that is this crazy weather we are having. And of course there just really isn't much to write about right at the moment. I'm a bit behind in my blog readings but will hopefully catch back up once school starts back tomorrow. (As long as there isn't another snow day!)

I did get out to the barn to check on Loki today. Supposedly it is getting down to about 5 degrees tonight and in the negatives tomorrow so we are all bundling up for the next three days. I had to repair Loki's 300 gram liner (thank you needle and dental floss). Loki got all cleaned up and I took him to the indoor for one last chance to stretch his legs before this possible snowmaggedon.

In the indoor I let Loki loose to run around but all I got was one lap of trot/canter and then he came back to me. I shooed him off and got another trot circle and then back again. We repeated that about four times and then I decided to just play since he was not interested in running around. Just for fun I asked Loki to follow me at the walk without a lead rope. He obliged very nicely so then I asked him to trot which he also did. He followed me all over the arena, stopping when I did and staying at my pace the entire time. He even backed up all without me touching him when I turned and walked towards him. That was kind of cool!
Loki says, "got treats?"

Right after that a friend stopped by and we got to talking for about 10 minutes or so. Loki was free to wander off but didn't. Apparently he decided he wanted my attention back on him b/c out of the blue he reached over and bit my finger! It wasn't hard, no more than a pinch. I scolded him but then laughed b/c while it was naughty it was also kind of funny that he wanted my attention so much. Apparently I've become important to him. :D

After that I did make it out to see Ghazal. Go me! I gave him a decent grooming and made sure he was also tucked up in preparation for the storm. Ghazal actually stood and leaned into the brush. This is the horse that usually HATES to be groomed and back in the day we had a stall walking/grooming ritual that worked fine for us but would probably drive most other people crazy. My sister even commented that it seemed like he was enjoying it so much because he missed me. I'm not sure if that is really true but it was nice to hang out with the old man for a bit. I will definitely be doing my best to keep up the once a week (minimum) visits.

12 comments:

  1. This is such a tough time of year. So many hopes and plans, and so much getting in the way! I hope your blues depart ASAP and that you have a restful meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have a feeling that once the kids go back to school it will get much better!

      Delete
  2. Winter is a tough time for most people AND their 4 legged buddies. I am lucky to live is sunny Southern Cali and count my blessing everyday! Here's to hoping for an early Spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to an early Spring for sure!

      Delete
  3. I so get the winter blues... Go into the light... It really is the cure (and pony time)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pony time definitely! and kids going back to school and just getting off my tookus and doing something, lol.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes the weather is terrible... I hope you get rid of those blues soon though!! Very cute with Loki :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter= no motivation ha! I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete