Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I Do Miss My Buddy

A friend of mine posted these old pictures of Ghazal and me on facebook today:
Ghazal is a very touchy, feely kind of horse.
Or maybe he is just a very itchy horse, lol
Yes, I really did/do have a purple bridle. What can I say? And oh my gosh the doily on his head!!
These pictures both make me smile and make me a little sad, not sad-sad just... I don't know, wistful I guess. They are from when Jay and I were stationed at Fort Gordon in Augusta, Georgia. There were miles of trails just off the barn on post. My friend and I spent many hours riding together. One time I even rode Ghazal all the way to the back yard of my house. I don't think we were "technically" supposed to ride there but nothing was marked so you always had an easy excuse if you got caught. 

I also remember once when we ran into a company doing training exercises. The person in charge, I don't remember his rank, had all of his soldiers lay down, hidden in the grass along the trail we were riding. I'm not sure how we avoided not stepping on anyone because it totally freaked Ghazal out. This was NOT normal human behavior and he was pretty sure it was a trap. 

Man, it just reminds me of all the many, many wonderful memories I have with this guy. They were different than the ones I'm making with Loki, of course. We never really did any formal training. I was practically self taught after the walk, trot, canter basics. It's amazing we turned out as well as we did, honestly. But we had such a great partnership. I could just think about what I wanted to do and Ghazal was on it, well, unless it was something scary and then we had to discuss it sometimes, but really it was so amazing. 

It makes me realize I'm not quite there yet with Loki. That's okay, too, because Ghazal and I were partners for over 20 years and some things only come with time and experience. But, I think Loki and I are on the right track and I can't wait to get there. It's not that it will be the same, because it won't, but it will be beautiful and wonderful in it's own way. 

But I still do miss the old man and our many adventures together. I have been pretty good in keeping with my goals so far and have seen him basically once a week since the first week of January. I hope that I can increase that when the weather gets better. 

14 comments:

  1. Lovely post!
    You and I seem to be coming from a similar self-taught-to-an-extent-background, however you've got the jump on me with show goals and a trainer. Here's hoping I can catch up and have a few lightbulb moments of my own on the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get that chance as well! It's been a long time coming for me and it still isn't the always ideal but I'm really enjoying the opportunities I'm getting; very thankful!

      Delete
  2. Awww! He seems like a great horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. :) I'm mostly self-taught and I relate a lot to the just get on and go kind of thing, Ghazal seems like such a wonderful boy and his personality, at least by how you've described him, reminds me of Red. He's definitely a beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I always used to say Ghazal has more personality in one hoof than most horses do in their entire bodies, lol, of course I wasn't biased or anything. I'm sure Red is very much like that for you. I think when you have a real partnership their personalities just blossom.

      Delete
  4. I had a partnership with my guy Luke- and the memories I most enjoy are the trials that it took to get to that partnership and how far we'd come. I'm sure you'll get there soon enough with Loki- enjoy the process :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Looking back on it it is easy to gloss over the trials that took us to where we are. I will definitely enjoy the process with Loki, thanks.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful memories and pictures to prove it! Horse partnerships like that are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Ghazal is very special to me.

      Delete
  6. You guys look like the perfect pair. There's something about discovering everything with your equine partner as opposed to being taught your entire life. I fall somewhere in between, but I definitely feel like Connor is more like an athlete/me the coach rather than that wild-eyed young girl partnership feeling. It doesn't mean I love him any less, but it is definitely different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel that same nostalgia when I look back on pictures with Elvis. You can't replace them, just build different relationships with different horses.

    ReplyDelete