Friday, January 31, 2014

Tattoos and a Contest!

Thanks for all the nice comments on my last post. Loki had the day off again today and he still seems just fine. If he is still looking okay tomorrow we will try a nice, quiet ride.

In the meantime I did some research I've been meaning to do for a while now. My trainer bought Loki directly from the track from his last race trainer. He was supposed to send her his papers but he never did. That's not a big deal since I don't ever plan on racing Loki but I've always been curious as to what Loki's tattoo # is. So I finally got around to researching it. First I took some pictures, only one of which turned out:


I know Loki is a 2007 baby so the first letter in his tattoo is a K followed by 3953. When I looked it up on the jockey club website (very helpful site, btw!) Loki was the only horse that came up with those numbers except it said there should also be a 7 at the end. I put a question up on an OTTB facebook page asking if it was common for just one number of a tattoo to completely disappear because there is no trace of a 7 or anything else next to that last 3 on Loki's lip. The consensus seems to be that yes, due to poor placement or bad ink or other things it is possible for one or more numbers to disappear before the rest even begin to fade. So there you have it. Loki's tattoo #.

Maybe someday I'll use it in a tattoo of my own. My feelings towards tattoos on people is that I like them in moderation and when they are well thought out. I spent nearly 2 years of my life studying Arabic in the Army. So one of my tattoos is in Arabic. It is actually my kids' names transliterated into Arabic with their birth dates. I combined their names and then added a mirror image. This is how it turned out:


For the record their names are Weston: وستون, Evelyn (in red) آفلن and Elaina آيلينى. And these are transliterations so there is no right or wrong way to spell them. I've had a couple of people give me a hard time about the fact that it looks like a butterfly. "I mean how unoriginal can you be if you have a butterfly tattoo?!" But, that is just the shape it wanted to be. Honestly, in my opinion, liking something only because it is popular or the "in" thing is silly but not liking something only because it is popular or the "in" thing is even sillier.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling post. My best friend's (since I was 2) brother is a tattoo artist so I have always had an interest in the art. Someday I would like to come up with something unique that combines my love for horses, eventing and Loki in one simple design.

What about you? Would you ever consider getting a tattoo to commemorate your relationship with your horse?

Oh and don't forget to check out She Moved to Texas for a very awesome contest for a pair of sweet looking breeches. I would love to win!

19 comments:

  1. I have been seriously considering a few tattoos recently. I was actually thinking about getting Fiction's tattoo tattooed on me somewhere, alongside paw-prints to represent my dogs/cat :)

    I love your tattoo by the way - very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post in the OTTB Facebook... didn't know it was from a blog i read. Ha! As to tattoos I have many and they all mean something to me. Each one has a story attached or a memory or some kind of significance. I'm certainly not done getting them but i do space them out over years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way they should be, meaningful.

      Delete
  3. Love your tattoo, it's so unique & special.
    I have one which I got at 18, sadly no story behind it...I wanted it - I got it. However I do want an equine related one, but until I decide on a design & positioning it sadly won't be :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,

      and taking your time to be sure you get the right tattoo is always a wise decision. :)

      Delete
  4. I have three tattoos, a small horse shoe with a Christian fish, a trinity knot and a bouquet of 5 Lillys ... Is really like to get a jumping horse but haven't found the right design yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Yeah, I've become pretty picky about horse designs. I want it to be just right.

      Delete
  5. Your tattoo is beautiful and meaningful, which is how they should be.

    I have an illustration of the constellation Draco around my upper arm - my Chinese astrological sign is the dragon. While deciding what to get, the artwork appeared in my mailbox from my best friend overseas. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and your tattoo sounds cool!

      Delete
  6. I have a horse shoe tattoo on my foot, and plans for another equestrian one in the works. I would get a tattoo specific to a specific horse, but I don't know what or who that horse would be yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A horse shoe on your foot seems appropriate. :)

      Delete
  7. My friend from my Junior years has several tattoos commemorating her Junior Hunters and her Adult Jumper mare. They are very nice, though she also has some not very nice tattoos are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend had a Winney the Pooh tattoo for a long time. She finally had it covered but it is why I've been pretty careful about what I get. What seems fun and cool today might not be so in ten years from now!

      Delete
  8. I would like one, I already have a few...my husband is heavily inked...I enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like them too especially when done right. :)

      Delete
  9. I love your tattoo - unique, beautiful, and most importantly with deep personal significance. I have been very interested in getting a tattoo for years but still haven't found the right image, but I've always thought I'd put it where you have yours, or perhaps a tad lower down the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I have one other tattoo on my lower back of an Arabian horse head. It is just an outline but still pretty cool. I like having them on my back because they are so easy to cover.

      Delete
  10. I have my tattoo all planned. I've lived with it for a few years now inside my head and all I lack now is the artwork and the confidence - both in myself and in the tattoo artist!

    Yours is lovely though I would never have the guts for it! I tend to be a small gesture kind of person. :)

    ReplyDelete