Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Art Of Waiting

I finally got to ride today. It was actually really beautiful, about 34 degrees maybe a tad warmer but compared to what it has been I was very comfortable. There was plenty of snow on the ground as well so it just made for a really nice ride. I wish I had people to trail ride with because today would have been a lot of fun for a real trail ride.
Our very snowy hack today.
All of this cold weather has gotten me to thinking that as horse people we should be very proficient in the art of waiting. I mean if you think about it half of training and horsemanship is simply a waiting game. Wait until the horse has learned to go forward before we start introducing contact. Wait until the horse is accepting contact before we ask for any collection. Wait for the jump! Wait until the horse is warmed up before you start working. I could literally go on and on. There are so many things that we have to wait for to get it right. Of course so many horseman and woman don't get it right and it is rush, rush, rush and so goal oriented with only the "end" in sight that steps get missed along the way. That's why there is such a profusion of training gadgets and "problem" horses. 9 times out of 10 if you just wait until your horse is ready for the next step it will be okay even if you aren't the next best trainer to hit the saddle.
As for myself I have learned that if I start thinking I've waited long enough that means I'm probably about halfway there. Apparently patience is a virtue that must be taught over and over and over... and over again. But I think I'm starting to get it, maybe?
Loki's field completely snow covered.
Right now just waiting for some warm weather is trying my patience. I'm very thankful I got such a nice ride in today because it is going back into the negatives tonight and for the next couple of days. But today was one of those winter days that make you realize winter isn't ALL bad (and thank God for that!)

9 comments:

  1. Glad you got some saddle time, hopefully you don't have to wait too long for next spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think we'll be able to ride again by Friday, if the weatherman is right!

      Delete
  2. I think it's easier to wait when you're an adult with a horse you really enjoy. There's no pressure to sell, or to age out of a division, and it seems like you have all the time int he world. At least that's my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't argue with that. I think most of the time it is easier to wait as an adult period, there is just a better perspective most of the time.

      Delete
  3. I have to keep reminding myself that it's a good thing for my horse to take 8-10 weeks off to reset.

    I hate winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I keep wondering how I'm going to get us both back in shape in time for the spring shows if this snow insists on sticking around!

      Delete
  4. Oh geez you really do have a lot of snow! I completely agree about waiting... must be taught again and again. Ha! Wiz and I had a little jump school today and we both need to learn to wait for the jump ;) he was a little two excited... I had to go back to trotting fences and woahing afterwards lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, waiting never seems to get any easier. I'm dying to get back to the outdoor so that we can jump again and figure out if our last jump session was a fluke or if we are going to have to figure out a new plan of attack.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely way of framing it -- thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete