Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Call

I got that dreaded call today. The one where your trainer (who absolutely never calls, always texts) is on the other line. Loki isn't quite right. Didn't drink hardly any water today. Gave him some banamine and now just keeping an eye on him.

This winter has been brutal and I know of at least three horses that have died from colic just in the last couple of weeks. So I'm definitely concerned. My trainer is going to call me with updates as I can't get out there right away. She doesn't seem too horribly worried but still worried enough to call so keep your fingers and toes crossed, pray, send happy thoughts, whatever it is you can/want to do I'll take it. Thanks!

In the meantime here is a picture to remind us all of green grass and warm toes:

Feel better soon, buddy :(
*update* Trainer just texted and said he is looking much better. Hopefully a dose of banamine is all he needed. I'll still be heading out there as soon as I get the kids off to school tomorrow and L will still be periodically checking on him but at least we can breath a little sigh of relief. Thanks everyone who has already sent us good wishes, I really appreciate them.

11 comments:

  1. Lots of ponies have gone this winter. I hope Loki is okay. Sending lots of positive energy to your baby.

    We are feeding beet pulp (or timothy pellets) soaked with a lot of water, any supplements we are feeding and a little bit of salt to help stimulate them wanting to drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking good thoughts and sending healthy vibes Loki's way! Sometimes the get a bit of an upset stomach and all they ever need is a helpful dose of Banamine. I am sure you won't get much sleep tonight, but try to keep thinking positively. He will let you know if there is something more to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending good thoughts your way! Hope Loki feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even the title of this post made my heart drop. I hope your boy is feeling better ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Hannah's comment above, the title caused my heart to skip a beat. Glad he's doing better, still prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for him!!!

    I've been adding water and electrolytes to Henry's grain when normally I don't have to in the winter!! Such weird weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Loki is feeling better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhhhhh I hate that call. Hate it. I know exactly the stomach churning adrenaline rush it brings.

    I'm so, so glad to see the good update. Will keep thinking of you both!

    ReplyDelete